Does anyone make a uniformly tube shaped Cree light?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi fellas,

I'm looking for a tube shaped Cree that is uniformly shaped from the bezel to tail cap with decent throw up to 25 yds. Has to have a clicky, can't use a twisty for what I want.

The plan is to mount it on the barrel of an air rifle with some combo of duct tape, velcro and plastic ties. It's going on a BSA Lightning Xl which is already scoped with a VERY short scope with elevation adjustment on top of the scope so we can't mount it there.

The Lightning XL has a rather fat "moderator" attached to the barrel and I plan to mount it to the underside of it. It's really the only place for it. No one makes a flashlight mount that will go around this moderator. Beleive me, I've looked.

If you have a better idea of how to mount a powerful little Cree with good throw on it, (other than buy a different air rifle or scope) I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Re: Tube shaped Cree, uniform from bezel to tail cap?

Hi,

This has had 61 reads and no responses.,, hmmm.

Fellas, it's for shooting rats at night. Nothing else.

We live in florida and have fruit trees in the back yard. Pretty soon the oranges and grapefruit will start to ripen and then fall to the ground if they aren't picked off the tree.

Once the citrus starts hitting the ground ,the roof rats (aka palm rats, fruit rats, tree rats) come calling at night and feast. I find rat crap all over the deck in the morning and you know it's all over the lawn too though you can't see it.

Come fall, when we sleep with the windows open, you can hear them scratching around on the roof. I'm too lazy to go out every morning and pick up fruit before work and sometimes too tired after work to do it.

Plus I like shooting rats with my air rifle. What can i say? They're vermin.

I have found that rats are pretty smart little critters. I think they "talk" to each other. The problem doesn't go away completely but it abates significantly if I go out there 2 or 3 nights a week just after dusk and pop a couple.

I just mounted an Ultrafire C2 with plastic ties and velcro. It's acceptable but the bezel is so much larger than the tube it was problematic.

100_3503.jpg

So if anyone knows of a bright Cree with a uniform tube that has a one stage clickie and a decent throw of 25 yds. or so please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Maybe something like this would work? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4128

I'm sure you can find something that will work. I would look for a AA or CR123 light if you want something with a similar diameter throughout, as those are the lights that most commonly have a narrower head matching the battery tube for a more compact light, but a smaller head also means it tends not to throw light as far as a larger head such as your C2. Something running on an 18650 or (2x CR123) might be nicer, but they almost always have a larger head and often tail.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Re: Tube shaped Cree, uniform from bezel to tail cap?

Don't know about a Cree, how about a Fenix light. They have quite a few with the same diameter front and back. My P2D for example can be turned onto 'turbo' -- one click and it's on.
Greg

yxa

Newly Enlightened
How about the new ASP Tungsten lights? I think they use Cree and they have a removable belt clip, is uniformly shaped and is available in one or two cell versions with two different tailcaps. Have they been released yet? Anyone who´s got one?

Illum

Flashaholic
Maybe a modded Inova T1 or T2 (the older straight body style)???

mmm, modding inovas aren't exactly easy...but its a good idea if you can find a reflector that can fit inside.
you would have to use something like a SSC or you'll have to modify the existing driver board

have you tried wrapping the flashlight body with foam insulation tape before ziptieing it on the barrel?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Very true. The whole freeze-pop thing seems a bit scary to me... but it has the form factor the OP is looking for.

mmm, modding inovas aren't exactly easy...but its a good idea if you can find a reflector that can fit inside.
you would have to use something like a SSC or you'll have to modify the existing driver board

have you tried wrapping the flashlight body with foam insulation tape before ziptieing it on the barrel?

mick53

Newly Enlightened

Great idea! Thanks, Illum_the_nation. I'll wrap the light to make it uniform, then add some velcro and use the releaseable ties to anchor it. I bet it will be very stable then. I used it this morning at dusk to light up a now deceased rodent. It was stable enough but your idea will make it a lot better.

I'll use the Ultrafire for now and replace it when I find a better light for the purpose.

Here's the rather elaborate setup I use for rat whacking. I'm taking as many rats out as I can before the fruit starts falling this year. I shamelessly stole the idea from a pretty smart guy who posted his rat set-up on an air gun forum and added my own mods.

I took a 3 gal. plastic bucket with a lid and attached a $16 infrared motion detector ("The Driveway Patrolman") with velcro. I sliced a 5" high opening in the bucket which extends about halfway around about 3" up from the bottom.

Add a little cracked corn and a partially opened can of anchovies and the rats come a callin'. When motion inside the bucket is detected it sets of a chime inside the house; it sounds like the ones you hear at the door of some convenience stores.

I also set up a cheap ($27) outdoor wireless infrared camera that lights up the whole show. This way, I'm indoors and can glance at the monitor (a tiny, $12 on sale at Walgreens, B&W television with an A/V connection) when the chimes sound.

If see a rat, I just grab the already loaded and semi-cocked air rife and fully **** it as I walk to the sliding glass door and creep outside for the shot. It's about 25 yds. away.

A few other types of night critters check out the bucket, but I'm only in it to shoot rats. I hate rats. The other animals (cats, racoons and possums mostly)I just frighten away.

As I said, I really, really despise rats. Can you tell? My wife says I have too much time on my hands. I think I'm just becoming a bit eccentric as time goes by. Besides, it's fun and a service to mankind. I don't think these rats are carrying fleas that will spread the bubonic plague to Florida, but better safe than sorry I say.

If anyone wants to see pics of this nicely effective but Rube Goldbergesque setup, I could take some later but I would hesitate to post them since they wouldn't really be light related. I don't want to get taken to task by a moderator.

Mike

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1D, L1T V2.0, P2D, P3D
Rexlight
Dexlight
Jetbeam
Lumapower LM301, LM 303, LumaHunter M3 Transformer
Coast 7767, 7795, 7736
Inova T1 2007
and
Countless Ultrafire and MTE Lights at DealExtreme

Last edited:

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Whoa! Guess you know your lights. Which of these do you think has the best combination of sturdiness and throw? Spring air rifles have an odd back and forth kick to them which has demolished a lot of scopes.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the ones I have most experience with are Fenix and Coast. I could highly recommend either of those brands. The Inova is also a well built light. All of these have LED's and not incans, so they should all hold up well for what you want. LED's are nearly indestructible. I don't think recoil shock from a gun can touch them. Hope this helps.

Whoa! Guess you know you're lights. Which of these do you think has the best combination of sturdiness and throw? Spring air rifles have an odd back and forth kick to them which has demolished a lot of scopes.

Thanks for the info.

Mike