Double Wammy in Chicago

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in or around Chicago? I haven't seen this bad of storms in a long time. Soon after the first one moved through, we get hit with a second. Cool light show though.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in or around Chicago? I haven't seen this bad of storms in a long time. Soon after the first one moved through, we get hit with a second. Cool light show though.

Yeah, it hit pretty hard in Porter County, IN. They actually moved all the customers and associates into an interior room on two seperate occasions at the Home Depot I work at.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it hit pretty hard in Porter County, IN. They actually moved all the customers and associates into an interior room on two seperate occasions at the Home Depot I work at.

Take cover, because you're about to get hit again.

Last edited:

bitslammer

Enlightened
Simply amazing. I sit here in the very most SW corner of Ohio and we had had only a minor sprinkle in the past 6-8 weeks and in N Ohio there has been catastrophic flooding.

On average the state is probably within the "norm." Reminds me of what an instructor in a project management course once said about averages.

"If your feet are in the oven and your head is in the freezer; on average you're comfortable."

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Friggin' CRAZY!!!

I work on the 33rd floor in a building downtown, in the middle of the Loop - it got so dark, that we couldn't see the hi-rise next to us... just nasty nasty fog, wind, and RAIN RAIN RAIN!

One coworker had a tree go through his daughter's car window (while she was in the house), and another had a tree fall and nail their house pretty bad.

As for me - I had a :rock: bike ride home!!! (Thank goodness for raingear and BIKE LIGHTS!)

:) john

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only was the light show amazing, the cloud formations are just spectacular.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for me - I had a :rock: bike ride home!!! (Thank goodness for raingear and BIKE LIGHTS!)

WOW. I was drenched when I ran 20 feet from the car to the house.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad still lives about an hours drive north of the city proper and he's also commented to me about the horrific weather. Says that his sump pump didn't cycle off once in a whole day during the rain everything was so saturated. I'm not there anymore, trading thunderstorms and tornadoes for hurricanes ;) But I do recall some spectacular storms. The local viaduct under 41 that went through our town would flood at least once a year up to about an 8 foot level. And our basement would start to flood immediately if the power went out to run the sump pumps.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw a video of what looked like a super cell ominously making its way through the towers. Sure looked like a tornado maker to me.

jch79-

I've been to Chicago loved it. Rush street...what a rush. That must be pretty cool to work downtown and live so close you can bike your way home.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
My commute home from the Streeterville area was without incident last night because the storms were past by then. This morning I saw a couple downed trees and lots of branches and leaves scattered around on my reverse commute.

Saw news videos of pedestrians hanging on to twisted and broken umbrellas that were obviously of no use. Why do they do that? :shrug:

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
My power's been out since Thursday, around noon. 36 hours and counting! It's been fun using these lights I find myself buying all the time.

However, we've got an automatic home standby generator, so the lights only get use at night, and to help out the neighbors. We had to loan out our portable generator too! Utility company estimates we'll have mains power back by Sunday or Monday.

(In case you were wondering why we've got more than one generator: My family owns an electrical contracting business, of which I'm part owner. Perks of the trade!)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
My power's been out since Thursday, around noon. 36 hours and counting! It's been fun using these lights I find myself buying all the time.

Some people get all the luck. My power just flickered a few times. I haven't had a long term power outage at night in years.

ispayboy

Newly Enlightened
Cook County area hit was moderate. But a lot huge trees are down everywhere some where even considered landmarks because of their size and age. Power outage is still ongoing as I type.
The only good thing that came out here (for me)is, (that being a flashaholic has its' advantages in crisis like this), lots of friends ask to borrow torches from me and I was to able to put my lights into their dark needs.:naughty:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not in or near Chicago, but last week I got 4 inches of rain on two separate occasions for a total of 8 inches.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
jch79-

I've been to Chicago loved it. Rush street...what a rush. That must be pretty cool to work downtown and live so close you can bike your way home.

:wave: Icebreak!

I love Chicago - it's a great city.. there's so much to do, that I find out about things that I would've loved to do, weeks after they finished. However, being from Wisconsin, and growing up in the country, there is always a lust for a quieter (& greener!) place. But I'm still young, and lovin' every minute of it!

If you're within 5 miles of downtown, biking is so much faster here than driving, taking the bus, and usually even taking the train, factoring in walk times. I've been going strong for around 3 years, all year, rain/snow/shine - and the worse the weather, the more fun it is for me! :devil:

:) john

Mad1

Enlightened
When I read "double wammy" I thought this was something else. :(