Lumapower MRV and L303

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I got these flashlights from battery junction. Actually i got a pair of L303, one for me and one for my girlfriend. And i got rechargable batteries and chargers for the MRV and the L303.

FINISH - The finish seems quite alright. There was a little metallic dust in the L303 from production but no biggy. Parts fit well and smoothly. Anodizing seems on par. I havent dropped it or anything though. Both seem fairly water resistant. The L303 is nice and small, fits in the pam of my hand and in my pocket without much notice. The MRV is not and EDC, but its about the length of a T3 but with a wide head. It fits in my police duty stinger hoster.

OUTPUT - L303 I like the output on this thing. The low is a good level for looking around a room. Lights the room up enough so see everything but isnt so bright as to hurt youre night vision, very easy on the eyes. The high mode is also nice. It throws decently for a flshlight its size and has very useable flood. I wouldnt be using it for any long distance stuff.
Ive seen other flashlights like this with multiple modes and im not sure whether im glad this only has low and high or not. On the plus side its kind of confusing scrolling through the modes on other lights. On the downside a flashing mode is kind of useful at getting peoples attention. I dont need 3 modes of low though.
I love the glow in the dark ring and tailcap. They dont stay bright for long but it is cool.
Only complaint wit this light is that bright comes after Low. So that means if you need the bright to blind a guy you have to scroll throught the low first.

OUTPUT - MRV Matt at bettery junction basically talked me into this light. Truly, i didnt believe LEDs could out throw normal bulbs up into the 100 lumen ranges. I was taking his word that it could out throw my stinger.
Guess what? It out throws my stinger. It out floods my stinger (not much flood on a stinger when reflector is adjusted to a spot.) Its supposed to outlast my stinger too, but i havent used a full charge yet.
The first night i used it, me and other officers were looking for a crazy guy who jumped into the ocean. They lost him with the poly stinger but i found him with the MRV. One guys noticed how much brighter my flashlight was too. At close range you see a small spot. Its bright ut you wonder, is that it? That spot makes it great at being a small spotlight. This light makes the stinger look like a cheap plastic 2 D cell flashlight.
I like the glow in the dark ring and tail caop.
This flashlight seems pretty sturdy. Its no INOVA but it is hefty and tough feeling.
There is a low high mode but its kinda weird. You just have to screw a certain piece in the body a certain direction till you see it step down a level. There was no click or notch or anything to make it obvious.
Another complaint is that with the box there were no instructions. I was left to figured out what piece to twist to find low and high. And it makes it harder because there are a total of 5 pieces that can be twisted.
Also, the switch was hard to replace. The MRV came with a clickie but a push switch was installed. I couldnt find out how to get it out. Finally I had to pull the rubber switch out the back then it all fell out and I was able to replace everything.

I am very happy I bought both of these lights. Two thumbs up for lumapower. Sorry no beam pictures though.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great story for the MRV - thanks for sharing! This remains one of my favourite lights.

I also share your assessment of the LM301, both its pros and cons (although I personally like it coming on in low first - it doesn't strike me as the kind of light you would normally use to blind someone ;) ). Of course, you could also use the head lock-out feature to turn it into a twisty that was kept in Hi mode. But I find with its SSC emitter it makes for a nice floodier light for night-time reading on Low. But I agree other modes can be useful, if you can easily control their sequence.

You might want to try out the Rexlight 2.1 if you haven't already. The UI is a little unusual, but you have the option to include or lock out the extra modes if you want to. It also has an even lower low than the LM301 (with insane runtime - over 2 days regulated).

You can see a comparison of the lights here: Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIMES

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Ok, ive been using this flaslight for about a week now on duty, and I have to say this is a very good flashlight. I am still impressed by it. Here are a couple things i found out.
The light does heat up after being on for 5-10 minutes but it wasnt hot, just warm. seems like it heat sinks well. Heck my poly stinger got that warm.
Its still running good on its first charge.
The glow in the dark tail cap glows relatively weakly and not for long. The GITD ring on the bezel of the flashlight glows pretty brightly, but it doesnt run for very long either, but thats no biggy.
I am continually impressed by its throw.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Been running this flashlight for 3 weeks now and still havent had to recharge the thing. This flashlight is great. Everyone asks me about it too, though ive become sort of a flashlight dork.