Tent recommendations?

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
I need help looking for a quality tent for an upcoming camping trip, my old trusty one died. I'm looking for something that will sleep 3-4 and some gear. I'm not concerned about weight since we'll have a car, but more concerned about rain since it is a rainy area. So far I have a couple of ideas in mind but look to spend under 200. So far I've come across a columbia bugaboo and an LL bean ultra dome. Any suggestions or experiences with these or other tents? Thanks

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kelty makes quality products. I have a Green River, and I'm very satisfied with it.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is another one of those areas where you pretty much get what you pay for.

There should be a number of quality sporting/outdoor equipmment retailers in your area. Shouldn't be hard to find a tent that fits your needs.

This is something I would not buy online unless I had actually seen it personally.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is another one of those areas where you pretty much get what you pay for.

There should be a number of quality sporting/outdoor equipmment retailers in your area. Shouldn't be hard to find a tent that fits your needs.

This is something I would not buy online unless I had actually seen it personally.

Funny, I couldn't find anything I liked locally, so I went online.

But I agree, you get what you pay for, and you should see it in person.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah a really water(storm)proof tent for 3 or 4 will cost more than $200..

just for reference check out most expensive Bibler and their tests of tent fabrics for water-proofness under pressure..

I like Bibler because you can get yourself inside 'the bag' in a few seconds, then put up the poles from the inside..

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I bought a tent a couple of years ago that pretty much fits your description.

It's an 'umbrella' tent, a dome tent that sleeps 4 persons in 2 compartments. in between the compartments there is enough space for a carload of gear or to sit 4 people at a small folding table. The 'livingroom' part of the tent is just high enough to stand in, and opens at 2 sides. Both sides can be set up as awnings, giving you a large sheltered area to protect you from sun or rain.

The best thing of this tent is how fast it can be set up. Fold out the poles (which are fixed in the tent), open up a zipper, go inside, fold out the tent like an umbrella. Put in 2 extra poles, pin it to the ground, put in the sleeping compartments, Done!
When doing this with 2 people (of which only one knows how the tent works) you can set it up in about 10 minutes, 2 experienced people can do it in about 5.

The one I bought was a cheapo version, but I've seen them in better quality too.

bitslammer

Enlightened
My favorite tents are the Marriot, Doubletree, or Hilton variety.

I spent enough time in olive drab tents to turn me off for a lifetime. Maybe I should give it another try in something better than Uncle Sam gave me. :D

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Alps Mountaineering makes gear similar to many of the major brands such as Kelty, Eureka, etc. They have a very good discount programs for scouts, and we have purchased many of their tents, packs, sleeping bags, pads and some of their furniture. Have never had any problem. Excellent prices if you are a scout or leader. Good prices otherwise.

They make a 5 man outfitter version of their Taurus 5 tent. It is a 5 man, but comfortably sleeps 3 or 4 with two doors and two vestibules to store gear outside the tent, but under cover. It is a great three season tent. I have one and use it a lot. If you will be doing any camping in snowstorms, the Extreme outfitter is better, but it only comes as a 3 person which really sleeps two.

This is a fantastic company to work with. If you can find someone that is a boy or girl scout to buy it for you, you can get a 45% discount off their retail prices.

http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringOutfitterTents.htm

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have 3 (yeah, I know...) REI tents that I can't seem to destroy. Not the lightest (at least the ones I have), but they're well made and can take a downpour.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kelty. I have a Kelty Gunnison 2, and could not be happier. Ridiculously easy to set up, the vestibules are excellent to have. Fairly light weight. It is a 2 person, but there it also the 4 person version. Without a doubt, my favorite tent purchase.

-C

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've had EXCELLENT results with kelty as far as waterproofness goes. You can setup in a depression and water can pool under the tent and you'll still stay dry.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What's y'all's opinion on Sierra Designs tents? TNF? Are they worth the extra bux? Mountain Hardware?

jtice

Flashaholic
I also have a Kelty Gunnison 2 and love it.
Its not too big or heavy, and is easy to setup.
It has seen some decent rain, and not leaked at all.
It sleeps two comfortably, even though looking at it from the outside you would not think so.
I also got the "foot print" ground tarp for it, seems to help keep the ground moisture out.
Look for one of the larger Kelty tents if you are after one for 3 or 4 ppl.

~John

Scottiver

Enlightened
What's y'all's opinion on Sierra Designs tents? TNF? Are they worth the extra bux? Mountain Hardware?

I'm a Sierra Designs man, I have two and am thinking of getting a third.
Very good quality and not TOO expensive, but usually over $200.
Couple of bits of advise:
-Always make sure that whatever tent your thinking of getting has a FULL rain fly. On cheaper tents they barely cover half the tent.
-And on choosing a size for the tent, get one that's one size bigger than what the tent is rated at, i.e. for two people get a three person tent and for three people get a four person tent etc. that way you won't be crammed up against your tent mates (unless you WANT to be crammed up against your tent mates :naughty:)

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
My favorite so far has been marmot. Its a little heavier but can take anything. And I have to say customer support is awesome.

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations. There's definately some good ones out there. I'm still looking, but locally, the kelty's seem to be pretty good, leaning towards that. Online, considering the sierra design, columbia, or ll bean tents, I like how on those, the rainfly covers the whole domes. Some tents are beyond what I need, since I do 3 season "car" camping and weight is not an issue. If I hit a blizzard or torrential downpour, I think id go for a marriot brand tent like bitslammer said. I may just go for the cheaper now and consider the more expensive later, and make use of sealants. It always helps to get other's ideas, thanks.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have any specific brand recommendations because there are many good ones out there. I do suggest a full coverage fly with good ventilation to prevent condensation and make sure you seal all exposed seams. I seal all the exposed seams with seam sealer. People often forget about this and later wonder why water is getting into their tent.