Modding Arc LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by nmiller on 7-31-07 HERE:

Is it easy to do? I have a stock one coming and am not sure what I want to do. This would be my first mod attempt.

Thanks,

Nick
progress.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

greenLED07-31-2007 10:58 AM
Re: Modding Arc LS?

Checkout the modding section on CPF - there are *tons* of threads on this topic there.

nmiller07-31-2007 12:22 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Thanks

greenLED07-31-2007 01:14 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

BTW, PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send you a pdf tutorial that was published a while back. I've lost the link and can't remember who made the file, but at least I got a copy. It should have pretty much all you need to know.

Mosport, bombelman, CY, and a couple of others are good people to contact about these.

nmiller07-31-2007 02:17 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Thanks again. Pm Sent.

X_Marine07-31-2007 06:19 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenLED (Post 2049460)
BTW, PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send you a pdf tutorial that was published a while back. I've lost the link and can't remember who made the file, but at least I got a copy. It should have pretty much all you need to know.

Mosport, bombelman, CY, and a couple of others are good people to contact about these.

Hey greenLED, I would like to see that as I don't believe I have.

Many thanks
X..

nmiller08-01-2007 04:25 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

PM me your email addy and I can forward it to you if you like. It is beyond helpful!

Nick

greenLED08-01-2007 10:43 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

The guide was made by CPF'er Louie a while back. I just tried to upload it to Google docs, but it won't take pdf's. Anybody else know of a place to host it?

X_Marine, I just sent you the file.

nmiller08-01-2007 11:00 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

I don't know of a host either.

AvroArrow08-02-2007 11:15 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Try RapidShare. I just did a test and uploaded a pdf and it works fine. Just pick the continue without registering and keep both the file link and kill file link in case you want to remove it. Then just post the file link here.

Oh yeah, the hardest part about modding an Arc LS (non-1st run anyway, I haven't modded one of those yet) is removing the light engine's metal retaining ring. Most of them are stuck pretty well because of the generous use of loctite at the factory. My first LS mod required me to dremel the retaining ring out and destroy the ring in the process because even after heating it up with a heat gun, I still couldn't twist it out with snap-ring pliers. Not pretty. This is assuming that you are fairly competent at soldering. Being able to work with small SMD sized components is a plus if you ever want to change the drive current, but not required if you're only swapping out the emitter and reflector.

On another note, try to get a pair of high quality snap-ring pliers with very small tips or rounded point needle nose pliers if you don't already have a set. It will be invaluable for modding small lights and I might not have had to destroy that first retainer ring if I had a good quality one. I was using a cheap $10 made in China set from Home Depot for that 1st mod and broke both sets of tips on that crappy thing and still couldn't remove it. <sigh> I found a high quality pair of rounded point needle nose pliers made in Germany from a Jewelery working equipment supply store of all places. Cost me $25 just for that 1 pair, but it was worth it.

X_Marine08-02-2007 12:11 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Thanks greenLED, that's just what I have been looking for.

Here's a link (loon) through up for us all..
Arc LS Disassembly photos from CPF louie.pdf

Many ThanX
X..

greenLED08-02-2007 12:17 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Marine (Post 2050289)
Here's a link (loon) through up for us all..
Arc LS Disassembly photos from CPF louie.pdf

Many ThanX
X..

You :rock: X_marine!

I'm sure the original thread must have juicy details, but I've lost the link and I'm not into archive digging any more. :) There's also tons of other threads on specific mods to reflectors, heatsinks, etc. but first you gotta take the darned thing apart, which is what that pdf file shows beautifully.

nmiller08-02-2007 06:09 PMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Thanks again guys.

bombelman08-07-2007 07:44 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Also, be sure to check my "Yellowpages"
news_story6-1.jpg

nmiller08-07-2007 07:45 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Bombelman,

I'm all over it!

bombelman08-07-2007 07:47 AMRe: Modding Arc LS?

Take your time . . . :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.