I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally postd by MacTech on 8-06-07 HERE.

Just placed my order for my first (and I'm sure not my last...) Arc AAA-P, I've heard so many rave reviews about the AAA, that I had to try one out for myself

I currently have a Fenix E0 on my keyring, and it's been a reliable light, solid and well built, but it doesn't seem to have that Arc "Feel", the E0's HA (Natural) has taken a lot of damage on my keyring, i'd estimate the finish at about 60% after a little over a year on the keyring, the light is still solid though, i just wouldn't feel comfortable betting my life on it

the Arc AAA-P OTOH, has a well-deserved reputation for indestructibility, plus, I like supporting a fellow CPF'er

I just hope the AAA-P can live up to it's illustrious reputation

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

Gransee08-06-2007 10:47 AM
Re: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Welcome MacTech.

An owner tip that applies to any light is if you are going to use alkalines: They should be replaced at least every 6 months. Alkalines do leak (even the name brands) and this is the number one reason people send our lights in for service. We clean them out and ship back right away but it takes time and shipping cost.

I have also learned over the years that not all corrosion or battery gunk is readily visible. The best test is to clean the contact (or swap the tube if its really bad) and observe the results. The mostly likely place is the negative contact (bottom of the battery compartment). I have been preaching this for years now and we still get lights in that take only a minute to clean but over a week to ship back and forth.

An advantage to using lithium AAA cells is that they are less likely to leak. NiMh are (in my experience) more likely to leak than alkaline but according to our service logs, most of the lights we clean are because of alkaline.

peter

Gransee08-06-2007 10:57 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

One other thing, You probably notice I don't talk up the light much myself. On the other hand, our customers can say anything they want of course. But no light is perfect and if that is your expectation, you will quickly be dissapointed. And rightly so. Its a tool and it evidently has helped a lot of people. but nothing more.

peter

MacTech08-06-2007 12:38 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Peter, thanks for the reply, don't worry, I'm not expecting miracles from the AAA, I just want a good, solid, reliable light, and I know the AAA will deliver in spades

I plan on using Energizer Lithiums in it, as it's going to be a backup/emergency light

Seth08-06-2007 03:22 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gransee (Post 2051676)
... But no light is perfect and if that is your expectation, you will quickly be dissapointed. And rightly so. Its a tool and it evidently has helped a lot of people. but nothing more.
peter

It´s statements like this which gave you a quite loyal crowd of folllowers, Peter.

I mean: Where else can you find someone stating "wait... this product is not perfect... It can fail, it can disappoint your expectations...".

To me, this is one of the seldom instances where a manufacturer tries to be honest.

To clear things up, lemme give you an example: I work for a cell phone company. And I tell my customers "Yes, you will have some defective phones. Rare, but it happens. Yes, there will be areas where you will have no net coverage... Rare, but it happens.".

Deadly for sales you assume?

Quite the opposite... In the city I do my business, word spreaded quickly there is at least one salesman who is 100% honest, boosting my sales to an incredible amount.

Don´t stop being honest, Peter... It pays :sssh:

Seth

roberttheiii08-06-2007 04:34 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

I ordered an Arc-AAA P last week and I'm itchin to get my hands on it! Against Mr. Gransee's advice I'm having it shipped via USPS, so it could be lost (but I doubt it), I think it's just taking longer then I'd like :)

Can't wait though!

:)>08-06-2007 07:05 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

I do not believe it possible for you to be disappointed with the Arc AAA-P. It has a feel that screams quality and a look that is second to none. It has greatly enhanced the appearance of my keychain:thumbsup:

And... oh yeah... don't pay much attention to that Gransee character. He has been talking down these Arc lights for as long as I can remember. I won't give out hope though; there is a chance that he might be able to enjoy a high quality icon of a flashlight that, for it's intended purpose, holds it's own against all of the new models on the market today.

Congratulations! I believe that you will love it.

MacTech08-07-2007 09:34 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth (Post 2051772)
It´s statements like this which gave you a quite loyal crowd of folllowers, Peter.

I mean: Where else can you find someone stating "wait... this product is not perfect... It can fail, it can disappoint your expectations...".

To me, this is one of the seldom instances where a manufacturer tries to be honest.

Agreed, there's one other company I do regular business with that also prides itself on integrity and honesty, Spyderco

Sal Glesser , CEO/President of Spyderco hangs out on both the Spyderco and Bladeforums forums, interacting with knife users, getting into discussions, asking for product suggestions and the like, heck, Spyderco has even produced forumite-designed knives (Chad "Daywalker" Los Banos's "Lava" for example, and Alex "Dialex" Dianescou's "Adventura")

it's that open honesty and interaction with your customers that will insure a long, productive company life, Peter, you're in good company, keep on doing what you're doing, and you can't fail.....

(unless Maglica wants to be an arsehole again, that is... )

In honor of the immenent arrival of my new Arc AAA, I'll destroy one of my vastly inferior Minimags in an excessive torture test...

I'll fire up my Fog test chamber and see how corrosion/water resistant a MiniMag really is, then go on to the impact tests, the driving-over-it-with-my-car test, the sledgehammer test, and finally the driving-over-it-with-my-diesel-powered-garden-tractor-with-the-lawnmower-running test**....

and in protest of Mag's shameful treatment of Arc, I'll never again purchase another Maglica-designed product, take *that* Andy Mag!
;)

**note, poster may not actually be serious here, you never know...

Lebkuecher08-07-2007 09:46 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech (Post 2052005)
I'll fire up my Fog test chamber and see how corrosion/water resistant a MiniMag really is, then go on to the impact tests, the driving-over-it-with-my-car test, the sledgehammer test, and finally the driving-over-it-with-my-diesel-powered-garden-tractor-with-the-lawnmower-running test**....

WOW!! looks like you're going to do a number on the Mag LOL.
All your really need to do is turn the Mag on and enough said when comparing to an Arc.

bigfoot08-08-2007 10:00 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

Enjoy your new light! It's not just a flashlight, but a well-engineered and thought out tool.

Nothing is perfect, as Peter mentioned, but there is great peace of mind in knowing that when you reach for your light it will 99.9% work.

If you appreciate quality, and I bet you do, you will be pleased. I know I am!

MacTech08-10-2007 11:15 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

I just recieved the light about a half hour ago, i really haven't had time to put it through the paces as i'm arms-deep in repairs, but i did put the battery in and give it a switch-on

this little beauty is a heck of a lot brighter than i expected i was expecting around the Fenix E0 level, it actually is right up there with my brass Peak Matterhorn 3 LED, and it has a much wider, more usable beam than the Matterhorn, it's actually a bit brighter than my Aviatrixed A2's 2 white LED's

the light has an exceptionally high quality feel, very solid for something so tiny, it has a very high-end "SureFire-esque" feel to it, the knurling is grippy without being too agressive, there's no head slop, it just feels....solid, you feel confident holding it, that you know this light is built to last, that it will just work when you need it

Peter, i know you said this light isn't perfect, well, i disagree, for my puurposes, it *IS* perfect, it puts out the right amount of light for most general uses, uses a common, easy to find battery, and is built like the proverbial tank, it literally feels indestructible

This won't be my last Arc product, that's for sure, Bravo, Peter, the AAA-P is an incredible little light

i have to actually stop myself from playing with this little gem of a light, i need to get some work done today, but i can't seem to resist the call of this light, my own, my little......Precious.... Arc AAA-P

My Precious.....
Precious!

Gollum!
;)

....seriously though, great work Peter, great little light, it'll definitely be added to my true daily EDC lights, a SF E1L-SR and Aviatrixed A2

must...resist...urge...to...buy...another....now.. ....

Grubbster08-10-2007 01:09 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

I pulled the trigger on one of these this morning. I already got a order update saying it has shipped! Now that is some great service. I was a little concerned because I saw a thread about some shipping delays, but you can't beat same day (actually within 4 hours). Now come the wait.........

cerbie08-10-2007 07:54 PMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

If your concerns are the HA and feel, you'll love it. Fenix's HA leaves a bit to be desired.

We need to get Peter a PR department! :devil:

roberttheiii08-22-2007 08:24 AMRe: I've finally joined the Arc Cult...errr...club :)

I love it! I got mine Sunday and its everything I thought it would be. The E0 was tempting because of the longer run life, but the quality of this arc is what I was looking for. I must confess though, I ordered two E0s as gifts, the people I'm giving them to will probably loose them in six months and I just can't justify sacrificing arcs like that. Thanks for the GREAT product!

Status
Not open for further replies.