Problem with 4 stage CREE?

mrearthpig

Newly Enlightened
Wolf Eyes Sniper/Defender Problem

I have a 4 stage Wolf Eyes Cree LED in my Defender II. It seems to be stuck on the highest mode. It will occassionaly click through the modes, but seems to be very tempromental. I've also seen a 4 stage Cree get stuck in the lowest mode.

What would cause this? I assume there are electronics built into the back of the lens? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Last edited:

traumerei

Newly Enlightened
Ditto. I did various searches for similar posts and this was the only one to come up. It usually goes through the modes but sometimes not cycle through but stay at the highest.

The temperature outside is 40F and I'm using a WE Sniper, normal momentary tailcap with the 4 mode R2 bin Cree and Trustfire 18650 batteries.

additional info:

When the 4 modes do work, it will cycle flawlessly continuously. However, once I turn it off and wait a couple seconds, the problem will surface. Waiting several seconds once it is malfunctioning does nothing. But still testing. I thought it might have been a UI thing but I haven't found anything yet.

Last edited:

traumerei

Newly Enlightened
From the blurb at PTS:

"Changing modes is easily done by powering on and off and on until you get to the mode you want. A button switch or pressure pad works great! If left off for more than 2 seconds the circuit resets and starts at 100%. Digital circuit sequence: 100% (280 lumens), 20% and 2% for low."

jbviau

Enlightened
Eaxctly--there's no memory. Occasionally my 4-mode P4 WE drop-in will get stuck in a particular mode (usually the first, high). Removing the tailcap from the G2 I run it in and then putting the tailcap back on always fixes things right up. I've always assumed it's a contact issue, possibly aggravated by my using a 17670. OP, what batteries are you using?

At any rate, this is the first I've heard of similar problems happening in the WE lights for which these drop-ins are designed.

traumerei

Newly Enlightened
Removing the tailcap worked at first for me. But now it seems permanently stuck on high. :(

Thought it might be the Ultrafire 18650s but I swapped in the Panasonic CR123s that came with it and same thing. Swapped with the incan head and then retried. Same. Looks like it might be a dud. Seems to me that it's probably not a contact issue. When a current is "detected" by the circuit, and that can be seen because the LED turns on, that should start the cycle right?

mrearthpig

Newly Enlightened
I had my drop in replaced and that seemed to have fixed it. Now the replacement has started to do the same thing. Most times it's fine.... other times it either a) wont turn on or b) gets stuck in one mode and wont change.

Very frustrating.

A few guys I know bought the same torch and a couple of theirs did the same thing.

I'm using the Wolf-Eyes battery.