SF Lanyard Cord Lock...

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Not sure if its the right place to put this treah or not, please move if its the wrong one.

Have anyone else but me noticed that the Lanyard Cord Locks on the lanyards you get to your surefire luight breaks very easy? I have had two cord locks break whiout even using the lanyard. Just moved the cord lock on and off the lanyard and the insinde of the lock crumbled apart like an old cookie!

Buying new locks from Lighthound, so its no biggy, just wanted to ask...expensive light..expected quality stuff... :)

Mash

Enlightened
Happened to me too. Both of the round spherical type ones, failed. I think the lower part of the hole is too weak and too thin to handle the return spring pressure and therefore breaks, resulting in a stuck lock, and spitting out bits of broken plastic!
Had nothing better to do, so took out the tools, and "modded" the broken ones, with a tiny strip of aluminium in U shape, which I melted into the bottom of the button bit.
With a bit of adjustment and grinding, to stop it catching on the paracord, it worked pretty well!
On a side note, is the Paracord on the SF lanyards a standard milpsec cord? If not what is it?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Exactly what happend to my locks! So im not the only one it happens to..

I just buy new ones, dont have the energy to fix them.. :)

I think its the same lanyard that www.lighthound.com sells, or very simular. Its nice to have diffrent colors to change with! Just remove the locks...or buy new right away and get some new cool colors. I have some orange lanyard on some stuff, really shiny in the dark, easy to spot if you drop it. And If you have a UV light this color will really shine!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, is this a recent thing? I've had three SF lanyards for anything up to two years now and locks still work fine - in fact I liked the spherical locks so much I purchased many more of them from Lighthound for other projects ( I know they aren't necessarily the same they just look the same!)

Just a bad batch from SF???

Be lucky...

Illum

Flashaholic
i think surefire's either using too string a spring or too thin/fragile plastic on the spherical ones

I have 3 lanyard cords [A2, A2, SCIII] and all 6 spherical ones are busted:thinking::green:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rather doubt that SureFire makes the ball locks for their lanyards.

First time I've ever heard anything like this. That's something I've never given a second thought too, either. I've used their lanyards on lights and spare carriers for years without incident.
Maybe there was a problem with the molding on some of the parts:shrug:

Mash

Enlightened
My busted one as described above is quite old, like 6 or 7 years old. If the other users broken ones are new ones, its probably a design flaw in the locks. I suppose SF needs to change their suppliers!

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
The cord lock on my M4 broke 5 minutes after taking it out of its box. Surefire customer service sent me new ones 2 days later.

I have better cord locks on some cheap fleece jackets than what Surefire puts on their lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
only thing I really care for is the nylon grade...which is superb in my opinion....but if the spring popped the plastic base off it starts opening holes the minute you start adjusting it:ohgeez:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the Surefire lanyards i've had the locks are JUNK! So now I just buy the parts which is cheaper anyway and make my own. It's too bad really, i've given all my Surefire lanyards away.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF cord locks are weak. I replace them frequently. We don't buy their products for the acessories!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Dont forget i believe they are ment to give way in the event that your light gets caught on something "it's like a break away"
'

Mash

Enlightened
It seems this is one of those things that everyone just thought it only happened to them!
However the thread originator seems to have opened up a whole raft of stories from everyone!
May SF will see this and do something about it.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Dont forget i believe they are ment to give way in the event that your light gets caught on something "it's like a break away"
'

Mine broke while I was moving the locks on the lanyard. It got stuck and tore up a small hole on the lanyard, so I open the end of the lanyard and removed the lock which fell apart. The spring had pushed a piece of sharp broken plastic against the lanyard so the lock got stuck and made some small damages on the lanyard.

Dont think this is supposed to be like this, like a "break away", the lanyard would still be intact and still have you stuck on whatever you got stuck on, making the locks break wouldnt help much, and in my case I could have tighten it around my neck when the lock got stuck. Maybe I had choked on the d*mn thing...

No we dont buy the lights for their accessories, but its one of thoose things people reflect over and makes them think less about the whole product. To me its not a big problem, just wanted to share, and it seems like I wasnt alone! :) maybe SF will check the lanyards in the future.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I have had this happen on just about any cord lock I have used. Dunno which make SF is using, but of the four SF lanyards I have had, two locks have broken in all.