What "D" sized Maglite holds 3 123a batteries?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
What \"D\" sized Maglite holds 3 123a batteries?

I have a great idea for the InReTECH Helios, a 3, 5 Watt Luxeon Star light drop in module for the Mag-lite!)

Instead of putting it into a 6D light (9Volts), why not put 3, 123a lithium batteries into a D maglite (I am NOT afraid to spell it correctly!)

A six "D" sized light is way too big, that is, unless you NEED to have a light that size!

I thought it was a 2D light, but I might be incorrect. Anyone know for sure?

It was posted here that the "C" sized Mag-lites do not accept (without some tweaking) the InReTECH drop in modules.

MicroE

Enlightened
Re: What

I have modded 2D mags with 3 123 batteries and a Luxeon Star on a custom heatsink so I think that you want the 2D. Plenty of room to play inside the head, but you will need to use some sort of spacer to hold the batteries in place.---Marc

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What \"D\" sized Maglite holds 3 123a batteries?

3 @ 5W LS will want to pull 3 * 700 mA = 2100 mA. For this light I'd use a Mag 4D loaded with 5 @ 1/2 D rechargeables plus 1 @ D rechargeable.

3 @ 123's are capable of delivering 6.2 V at 2300 mA. The actual running combination would probably underdrive 3 LS considerably more dimly than the battery arrangement I suggest.

I wouldn't try to drive more than 2 5W LS with 3 @ 123's.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still 200 lumens is quite some already. I would really prefer some copias and 3 5 watts for a total of 1 hour run time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soloco

Enlightened

I'm using 2 rows of 3 123 lithiums in parallel in my Mag2D and 2 rows of 5 lithiums in parallel in my Mag3D. I made up a spreadsheet to figure out different battery lengths and widths. I'll post it soon. Double-barreled 123s seem good enough to drive my 20W MR16 halogens, so I'm guessing it would be okay for the Helios; maybe not the Mega6.

Just threw together a page with my battery comparison chart on it. http://www.jerrykco.com/lights/index.htm