What type of clothes for Calgary, AB?

chaka

Newly Enlightened
As the title says... I´m going to work in Calgary, AB for 6 months and need to know what type of clothes are best for the cold climate...
Thanks...

Sarratt

Enlightened
From Mexico to Alberta ... that's going to be a shock to your system.
I'm assuming you will be there in the winter.

----- 100% cotton is cold! -- try to get a 50/50% cotton - polyester blend for next to your skin. (t-shirts and socks especially)-- "Cotton Kills" is an outdoor saying up here.

----- , Layers, layers, layers. Don't rely on one heavy item to keep you warm.

----- Mittens are warmer than gloves even if you might not look so cool.

Mountain Equipment Co-Op a very good outdoor gear supplier. You have to join to purchase (minimal $5 fee) The link below is to their clothing information page.

http://www.mec.ca/Main/articles_mai...owsePath=1408474396038663&bmUID=1188130760612

There is a retail outlet in Calgary.

Best of luck and welcome.

If you have any other questions about your move feel free to ask.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I like synthetic fleece as my under garment choice when I'm out duck hunting in Ohio. I'm sometimes out for 4-6 hours in fog/light mist etc., and the moisture wicking abilities of the synthetics are a plus.

Just Google the phrase Sarratt mentioned and you'll get some fine advice such as the first link: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/cotton.html

One other thing that that greatly affects what I wear in teh cold is what I'll be doing. When hiking with a good deal of movement, and possible perspiration, I'll chage my gear quite a bit from duck hunting where I'm mainly sitting very still on or near a lake.

chaka

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks guys... great info on those links...
i´ll be working outside during winter :santa:...

what about hats, scarfs???

bitslammer

Enlightened
Wow, thanks guys... great info on those links...
i´ll be working outside during winter :santa:...

what about hats, scarfs???

Forget those. This will fit most any bill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaclava

You might want one thin one and one heavy one. Some have a bill which is nice if it's bright out. I have one with Goretex lining which is very warm, waterproof, and breathable. It's thin enouugh that I can wear it and still squeeze on my helmet if I dare to do a cold weather motorcycle ride.

Sarratt

Enlightened
When I worked outside it was my ears that got colder faster.
A headband that covers the ears --- 2" thick worked for me but I forgot to tell you that.

Never ever wear a scarf working outside.
its way to dangerous for the comfort it may give.
Loose ends of anything are forbidden in most workplaces.

I agree with .." bitslammer.." about balaclavas ---- personally I find them hot and suffocating

Your feet are going to freeze, just remember "wick away and then warm"....

lightemup

Flashaholic*
As someone who went from 40 degree heat in Aus straight to winter in Whistler (and the first time I saw snow): If your experience is anything like mine be prepared to be cold like you've never been cold before! :)

Luckily I stocked up at a Canterbury shop before I left, bought a really warm jacket designed for rugby players in New Zealand's winter. Really worked like a charm. Had to get used to the idea of 'layering' and my ability to carry torches went up exponentially with all those pockets ;)

springbok

Newly Enlightened
Living in Calgary myself, I can give the following advice.

It only really starts getting very cold at the end of Nov. Up until then, the weather is ok, with a cold day here and there.

The cold is described as a dry cold, with little moisture.

If you are going to be here for 6 months, you will definately need some good clothes and shoes as you will be here for the coldest months.... Jan/Feb/Mar. The cold is not endless, more often than not the spell is broken up by a warm wind called the Chinook. It can raise the temperature up 30 degrees in a couple of hours. Its awesome. -20 C one moment, turns into a pleasant +10 c later.

clothes.......I am from Africa, and I find that a good jacket, with a good shell to break the wind is important. I have a goose down jacket. nice and warm. thermal underwear <--Helly Hansen. Maybe some ankle high boots, to prevent snow from falling in.......mind you Calgary does not get much snow. Get gloves and a toque.

The warm clothes is only necessary when walking outside, once inside, all is good, as buildings are well heated/insulated.

do not go overboard buying stuff. If you need stuff, then wait till you are here to buy them.

chaka

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys... very helpfull information...
I´m going to work at McLean Lumber Sales in Calgary, i don´t know if working outside or inside.
i´ll wait till i´m there to buy stuff... Thank you all.