A Nomadic Museum (online art)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I appreciate different forms of art, but should make more time to enjoy it than I do. As it is, I typically take the time when I "run across it" during my day to day life travels...

I ran across this site in a Kim Komando email: "A Nomadic Museum"

Scroll around the pics with your mouse & click on the pics, turn your speakers on as well, the music goes along with the presentation. I realize everyone's taste is different, this one just struck a chord with me.

Description from the site:

When you think of museums, you probably envision large buildings. Or you might think of virtual museums on the Internet.

But you wouldn't immediately think of Gregory Colbert's museum. It is a travelling museum constructed from shipping containers. It has been on the road for several years.

The museum structure is amazing. And so is the work inside. There are large photographs of people and animals together. Think elephants and cheetahs and falcons.

The photographs have a mystical quality that is difficult to describe. You should visit Ashes and Snow and see for yourself. You can see many of the photographs and watch parts of Colbert's film.

You need the free Flash Player to view the enhanced site. It can be a little difficult to navigate at first. But be sure to explore all the site has to offer.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Very cool Sig, If you like this you should find your local Hindu Temple, This is not a joke and I'm not a Hindu but I have friends that are and this is very reminiscent of the Temples I have visited. Very nice, Thnaks Sig :thumbsup:

X_Marine

Enlightened
Very nicely done site. Besides being pleasing it is also very efficient from a designers view. I used to do a lot of graphics design and enjoyed flash, but never did anything as in depth as that.

Thanks Sig.
X..

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
still can't do flash on this mac with ie..will bring it in for new software next week..dial up is too slow..but this sounds very interesting. we use 30 and 40 ft. steel shipping containers here as storage and an office, and I was into 'nomadic' furniture and buidings at one time..the animals are all alive and on the outside though.. ;)

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam17/At_The_Edge.html

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've spent some more time on this site, exploring the installation of the physical exhibit & content of the online presentation.
(BTW, there's a "non Flash" option as well.)

For those who haven't checked it out yet...it's a "portable" exhibit, with no specific destination or closing date (previously shown in Venice, New York, Santa Monica, Tokyo, soon in Mexico). On it's journey, it remains a continuous artistic work in progress. The structure which is "art" in itself, uses shipping containers (which I can only assume contain the "exhibit" when transported?), lights, roof, etc. uniquely placed to house the exhibit.

The photography, videos, textual content, layout/presentation are EXCELLENT IMHO. It's actually more of an experience instead of an exhibit. Find the book (I think it may be in the bookstore) & read some of the excerpts/sample pages!!

I would love to see this exhibit come to Anchorage!!!

Last edited: