How does the Novatac button compare to the knurled tail HDS button?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Novatac and an HDS with the oldest style smooth tailcap. The button action on the two lights is very different. The HDS with the smooth cap requires more pressure and distance to activate. The knurled HDS cap looks alot like the Novatac cap, and I was wondering if the button action is similar.

Can someone with a Novatac and an HDS with the knurled cap comment on the similarities and differences between those two?

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
+1

I was never really a fan of my HDS switch, don't get me wrong, it felt exactly the kind of way you would expect for the market it was designed for - very robust. :tinfoil: However the switch on the Novatac (either the protruded or flat) is a big improvement IMHO. Just enough travel and while still providing a positive 'click'

What have they changed?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone sell me a knurled tail for a reasonable price and I'll post my findings :)

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I have a Novatac 120P, a HDS U60GT with knurled tail and a HDS U60 with smooth tail. The HDS knurled tail is very similar to the Novatac tail in feel. The older U60 smooth tail is quite different. It requires more press, clicks less smoothly and feels less sure.

Ken

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several HDs's and one novatac. Of the hds's all seem to have different switch packages (even though the all pretty much feel the same)
The novatac may be ever so slightly a softer touch light.
They all seem to have a very SIMILALR feel to them.
I did send one of the HDS switch packs back to HDS because the one I had did not work perfectly. Henry sent me a new (switch) unit.
I am sure there are people who have measured the amount of force required to engage each different HDS switch as well as the NovaTac...As well as the ARC 4 (which is the worst switch of the lot).
IMHO they are close enough for government work.
As a total package the New NovaTac EDC 120 has been performing very well for me since I received it. It really is a good value for a flashlight of this type.
Yaesumofo