Single AA, Best UI? (user interface)

moses

Enlightened
I have a coupel of Millermod's single AA mods and it's flat out the best UI I know of. Click for on and off. Turn head for three stages. (If we're not talking single AA, then I figure the Spy005 probably has the best UI.) He just sent me a upgraded head and it's just superb.

Anyways, of commercially available, I think Fenix has highly touted UI in the single AA lights.

Is there any other single AA light that has great UI similar to Millermods where one twist the head to select levels?

Thanks,
Mo

paulr

Flashaholic
The L1T uses the head to select levels, uses a tail pushbutton to turn the light on and off, and uses a screw-off tailcap to change the battery. Result is that if you're holding the light the wrong way in the dark, you can unscrew the tailcap by accident when you're trying to set the level.

I start to believe the best UI is just a one-level, on-off twisty like the Arc AAA and CMG Ultra. If you want two levels, a two-level twisty (just one control) is ok if done carefully. The L1p (tail pushbutton clickie) was also very popular, though most users wanted a forward clickie instead of the reverse one.

Much as I bag on computerized lights though, I think I might order an LRI Cree Proton. I recently got an L1DCE and do NOT like it.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with the LiteFlux. Maybe I should look into it. But I'm mostly interested in high quality, single function lights these days, rather than slapped-together computerized marvels. I'm disappointed with all recent Fenix offerings except the P1CE which is their best light so far.

moses

Enlightened
I do like at least 3 levels if possible. My question is not about single level light obviously as there's really no UI needed for that apart from push button or twisty. Thanks.
Mo

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I kind of like the way Photon has done it with the single AA Proton and the button cell Freedom. One switch controls all modes, so it's one handed. Not as fast as other systems, but very convenient.

Geoff

Grubbster

Enlightened
I also would say the Liteflux has a great interface. Three levels easily available which are adjustable with a memory. Other features are available such as strobes (adjustable for rate and intesity) and SOS (adjustable for intensity), but they are a little more twisting to get to.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also have to say the Liteflux LF-5. I have a LF-3 (CR123 version) on its way so I will have some better input once I receive it. Someone who recieved a LF-5 already and commented that the build quality was fantastic (several threads down). Look in the reviews section also - there are some pictures of the parts and they seem to be well made. I like that the light is off when the head is fully screwed down. This is a nice feature in itself.

I have a Fenix P3 so I know about thier UI and its ok - but you have to cycle through modes which can be a pain at times. I also get some mode jumping and flickering which I think may be related to the head wiggling when not in turbo mode. I am still trying to eliminate that annoyance.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my favorite UI is not created yet. It would be:

- Levels controlled at the head, like Fenix L1D, though it'd be great to have 3 different levels instead of two

- Forward-clickie switch, ala the Leef body w/ McClicky for the P1D

Playing with both my L1D and Leef-equipped P1D, I think a combination of the two would be perfect.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few UIs that I like although only one is available in single AA mode

Peak First Responder (three SSC LEDs) Has a variable output knob at the head with a tail on/off switch.

Surefire U2 Turn the ring at the head to adjust levels and tail clickie for on/off.

Taskled nFlex current regulator board (for modders) Tap the switch for on/off at the last level used. Press and hold the switch when turning it on and it will go into forced low--release when you see the low. Keep holding the button down and it will go forced high after 2 seconds. When the light is running, press and hold the button and the light will cycle through it's 8 light levels.

Fenix LxD series Twist head for max and low, tap the tail switch in low mode to get medium, high and SOS. When in high mode tap the switch for strobe (great for a bicycle helmet light)

The contant twisting motion for multiple levels get rather old after using the above UIs.