Ballistic-Resistant Gear

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two fathers in MA invented bullet-proof backpacks to protect students in the event of school shootings.

News Report

(Text Version of Above)

Product Demonstration (Note: some disturbing images from the Virgina Tech massacar)

In the UK, Kelvar lined school uniforms are now available for sale

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6945814.stm

I feel it's sad in this day and age when people have to equip their kids with ballistic proof gear just so that they will stay safe in school.

Even then, I could tell one thing about the backpack/vest or Kelvar uniform is that you'd be out of luck if you were to get shot in the head. Not to mention that in certain (First Person Shooter) games, you receive extra points for head-shots and lots of people believe that such games are responsible for school shootings.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel it's sad in this day and age when people have to equip their kids with ballistic proof gear just so that they will stay safe in school.

I think it's sad that people feel the need to prepare (and poorly!) for such an unlikely occurence.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's all a bit silly. Better to buy kids cheap running shoes so they can sprint like the wind. I was reading yet another article about school shootings today in a law enforcement magazine. Most kids were shot "execution style". It makes me ill, but kids need to be taught to run when somebody pulls a gun or any weapon on them.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That would not work anyway since schools for law abidding citizens and students are gun free. That means only the criminals who don't care about the law have the guns during the time until police can react.

Either run away or stand up and fight the issue. I am not going to die without a fight. The graphic games might contribute to the increase in violence of kids but also lack of parenting is also to be considered. When kids/college students/young adults do something wrong, people are quick to blame the "system" ie the government, industry, teachers, everything but themsevles (the parents.)

I only have a year left of college and if a school shooting goes on at my campus (highly unlikely but you never know) I would be one angry s.o.b because my guns are at home (hey duh, gun free school) and I am getting shot at by a criminal/psycho path who has no regard for laws. A gun in trained hands is better than a cop on the phone...

bitslammer

Enlightened
I saw this and just shook my head. I'm just waiting for the marketing. The message will of course be that you're a lousy parent if you don't buy these for your kids. Just look at how everything these days is labeled "Antibacterial." Your a terrible parent if you don't have a 100 pack of antibacterial wipes handy at all times.

Oddly by the irresponsible use of these we're breeding super bugs that can take on nearly anything and survive.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw these guys on the news showing their bullet proof back pack. The news reporter then caught them off guard with a question like "What if kids want to try and test out your product and wear them while someone fires a gun at them?" and the makers of the product didn't know what to say to that. :)