Princeton Tec Yukon HL --> Cree/Seoul?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to modify the PT Yukon HL (the old 1W headlight) with a new LED such as Cree or Seoul?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The yukon had a dropin bulb. So it wasn't heatsinked and wasn't run very hard. I think the bulb was proprietary, so i don't think a PR dropin like the Craftsman unit would fit. If you have one could you take a picture of the bulb?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a chance to look inside a friends Yukon HL, and in fact it does have a side emitter droppin PR type bulb type LED like the tektite linked above. However; it is soldered into place. It would be fairly easy to unsolder and replace the whole drop-in bulb. I am unaware of any PR type droppin with a cree or Seoul yet and they would probably be around $30 when they hit the market.

But considering the probably cost of the PR type dropins, the total lack of heatsinking and the fact that a cree/seoul might not focus right it is probably not worth the effort.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Hey guys - I have a Yukon HL and I popped mine open a few days ago. I've removed the LED housing and removed the old Lux LED. I've also identified the wiring and found that, jeez, this light is regulated to a T. The voltage and current output are astoundingly flat.

I'm planning on dropping in a Seoul SSC P4 in the Lux's stead. I should get those on Friday.

If you guys want some pictures I'll feel free to post what I've got.

The LED emitter is pretty interesting - it's housing on a raised heatsink, and there is a second heatsink screwed down on-top of the emitter, aiding it's heat capacity and compressing the LED against the first. The emitter is pancaked to to the heatsink with thermal paste. Just pull out the emitter housing (will have to break the positive wire leading to the housing), unscrew the top heatsink, and voila, you have your older Lux replaced out with a Seoul.

Emitter swap worked well for this guy: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151400

Same basic principle, same reflector type - should do well with the Yukon HL.

Last edited:

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Hey, I have one of those old Yukon HL's sitting around somewhere.
I'm interested in seeing how your mod works out.
First I'm going to mod my Apex, but the HL's basically unused right now so it's just waiting for some mods.