Newly Enlightened
surefire L1 or the G2 LED or novatac 120T

the G2 led for using in the cold ..and the accessories i love the accessories

and well the novatac is just cuul what can i say

what should i purchase? :shrug:

a little broke :candle:

supes

Enlightened
I don't have any of these lights, damn college. Anyways, here's how I think of it.

SF L1 Cree- Great size for EDC, 2 levels of light(HIGH&LOW) Reliable,LOTC mode,quality. Its a Surefire!

SF G2L-OK size for general use. Not too big or small. Uses 2 X CR123a. Also LOTC mode. One level of light. Good runtime. Simplest switching of all. Plastic, lighter weight. Two available colors(Black and Yellow) Its a Surefire!

Novatac 120T-Smallest of the bunch. Many adjustable modes to your liking. Great size for EDC carrying with you. Metal, durable, Seoul LED. I'm not sure if this is the brightest out of the bunch, either this or the L1.

What exactly are you going to use the light for? If your "a little broke", the cheapest is the Surefire G2L. Get it at OpticsHQ and its even cheaper.

You need to list more requirements so we can help you more with your decision to get your light.

I would go SF L1 Cree, but that's me...

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, as supes suggested, more information about your intended use would be helpful, as well as what kind of lights you already have.

If you are a little broke, you could consider the NovaTac 85P. I think the P model is by far the most popular because you can program it anyway you like, and for $110 you are getting all the goodies of the NovaTac EDC P series, while only giving up the very top level or brightness, which is of course fun to have, but in reality I've found I end using 42 lumens most of the time anyway, ha. But, the fun of being able to program the 4 individual light levels to any of 21 or 22 brightnesses (is that a word?), and all the neat options (timer, strobe, force on, etc), is just to much fun.

Of course you can't go wrong with a Surefire purchase, but the L1 only uses primaries, and does have a rather tight beam, not exactly what I would be looking for in an EDC, but, if you are outdoors a lot, and want an exceptionally good pocket light with 2 levels that will allow you to spot something clearly at a distance while still giving excellent run time, then that would be your light.

I like the G2L, but wonder if you have looked at the Dereelight or the Wolf-Eyes models? They both take rechargeable batteries as well as primaries, and offer a choice of multiple level drop-in modules, very useful features!

Ok, that's my 2 cents. Happy hunting.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently looked at these lights at a local store. I was most impressed with the NovaTac. Least impressed with the G2Led. The E1L was nice too.

mulotozink

Newly Enlightened
I've just heard problems about novatac thats all

but it doe4s look swell haha:faint::thumbsup:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just heard problems about novatac thats all

but it doe4s look swell haha:faint::thumbsup:
Yes, like many newly released lights, including the newly released Surefire Cree L1, some of the NovaTac lights have had a quirky flickering problem. I guess time will tell how good both lights turn out to be, let's hope for the best, and be happy they both have 'lifetime' warranties! :)

supes

Enlightened
haha, have you read the problems thread with the L1? Can't even run 15 minutes.

They have fixed them now. Can run 45+ minutes on HIGH. More on LOW. If you have problems, send it to SF, they will take care of you.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, have you read the problems thread with the L1? Can't even run 15 minutes.
Well, to be fair..... Surefire does seem to have taken care of that issue, and from what I've read in that thread all of the new lights being sold now are no longer having that issue, but it does point out, that even a highly respected company like Surefire can have problems with the release of a new light.

mulotozink

Newly Enlightened
hay today i went out and spent on the tikka PLUS.. i gotta stop spending, almost out of money just need the novatac to make it no money:cool::poof:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI I have been in touch with Novatac.

And they say fixes are in hand.

So one coming from them now will be flicker free.

So get the Novatac both of mine are perfect.

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, cant read all the posts, i am on my way to church.

I have the Novatac, and it is perfect, no flaws, no problems, works just like the manual says. None of the problems reported. So dont be put off by all the problem reports, they may just be the exception, because it seems like the people who are getting theirs replaced are happy with those as well.

If you like the nova tac, get it, it is a a great light. And it is certianly customizable to what you want.

luminata

Enlightened
I finally got my L1 back form SF after 6 weeks of waiting and multiple calls/emails since once again they dropped the ball and mine got "lost " in the shuffle. No apologies as usual though . My replacement is a complete new light. I had asked to at least keep the head of the original since that is not where the problem was. We knew that wasn't going to happen. I was assured "all of them have the same beam" . Well the new one has a green tint on low and high and rings and artifacts . The window on this has much less "frosting" on it . did test for 30 mins on high and no drop down in output. The beam sucks. Wish I had never bought this thing.

I am really starting to wonder where exactly this light fits into the flashlight world. When compared to the huge selection out there now the disadvantages of this light are many.
For EDC it is a bit large for a one cell , the clip sucks unless you put it on a baseball cap bill, there arent any readily available holsters for it. The Novatac/HDS is much better suited to everyday carry.
The output is average on the L1 . You have a low 10lumens and a high of maybe 60 (my replacement isnt as bright as the original I had) for maybe 50 mins though it declines rapidly over that time(not very good regulation) . A novatac gives much higher output and more levels to choose from. for the size the L1 doesnt put out much light for long.
It only takes primaries.
If you drop it and break the window you cant replace it yourself you have to send it back and wait 4-6 weeks if you are lucky and they dont lose it on you.
Why would anyone want this average performing odd ball light as an EDC? If you dont EDC it and use around the house or stick it in the car then you would be better off with a larger more efficient longer running light on 17670/18650 or 2x123 batteries
My opinion stay away from the L1 Cree. More bang for the buck in others out there now.

x923x

Newly Enlightened
If I had to pick just one, I'd most likely go for the Novatac...I guess just because I like the look, feel and size of it the most. The G2L w/Z59 tailcap usually lives at work, the L1 Cree is kicked around the house and garage. Thankfully I haven't had any of the problems with the L1 that others have reported but it is disheartening to read. Anyway, the 120p has become my current EDC. I just put on the Ti bezel and a AR coated UCL lens from flashlightlens.com recently. Also, I'm horrible at attempting beamshots so I don't bother anymore.

G2LL1120pb.jpg

G2LL1120pc.jpg

SFBM1.jpg

The killer bees! G2L with my Doug Ritter/Benchmade Mini-RSK Mk1

Last edited: