Fenix L0D-CE: Ruined?

NWIFSER

Newly Enlightened

Due to technical issues, shortly after I registered, such things as the internet
became unavailable to me, but recently this has been remedied. So hopefully
I will be a member who contributes in a positive fashion.

So I come to this great fount of wisdom with this question:
What to do with a L0D-CE that has stripped threads? (apparently).

I attempted to use it this night, and found the battery dead. Unscrewing the head just a little caused it to spring off, with a sound I did not care for.
The head now cannot be permanently attached without assistance. Blue loctite has failed. This is obviously some fault of mine. I do not expect an email response about the repair of this item until Monday, but does anyone else know offhand if this would be a 'repair or replace under warranty' issue, or not? I am NOT trying to take advantage of any dealer. Pics are as best as I could take with my current limited camera skills.

Thanks in advance.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads in your L0D do not appear too bad, at least in the pictures. You mean that the battery you left in the flashlight lost its acid and it corroded the anodizing?
Have you already tried to clean everything with alcohol and use a new battery?

As to your warranty issue, asking the vendor is the best/only way to get out of your problem.

NWIFSER

Newly Enlightened
The light actually lights up just fine when I put a fresh battery in (missed mentioning that in my post)-and hold it closed with two hands. Basically, the threads are so badly damaged that the head of the light is forced off the body tube simply by the battery. Attempting to use something to hold it together works to some degree, tape has been successful, but there is just no point in its use in that state, since disassembly is then required to turn the light off. What confuses me, is the type of damage to the threads-they seem to be worn down greatly, but not otherwise in terrible condition. I am not sure how I did it, but hopefully someone else will benefit.

As far as the warranty issue, I had already emailed regarding that prior to my post, however, I don't expect to get a response until Monday. Looking at various sites, it seems that they will repair it but charge for parts. I doubt they can cut new threads, if that is the case, the whole light is said 'parts.'

Just trying to clear things up. Re-reading my first post, I didn't mean for it to come off like some sob story. Perhaps I should have added this:
Any mod ideas?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if the vendor replaces your light, that's it. Otherwise you can try that trick used by mechanics to mend worn out threads: if I well remember it is a sort of a steel wire spring that is mounted on the old threads. Are you familiar with this system? I remember it being used on my old English motorbike many years ago.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Kilovolt is talking about a Helicoil device. I can't imagine there would be enough case metal to use one tho. It does give an idea of wrapping a very fine wire in the male threads in the hope it would give a tight enough fit to restore some function.

tsia

Newly Enlightened
The thread repair system is called helicoil. I don't think this can be done here as the thread is not a standard type thread. The thread on the LOD-CE is not very tight fitting. I'm worried about the thread on mine too. :candle:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have the tools and skills, this would cost more than the light, but I might try thin solder blobs to the male threads and then run thru the appropriate threading die. Kinda grasping at straws.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the teflon tape. It looks like you have enough threads that it would work.

Keep adding wraps until it fits securely.

I have used this to "fix" lights with poor thread tolerances.

NWIFSER

Newly Enlightened
Excellent notion on the Teflon tape! I had to wrap it many times more than I thought I would have to, 13 in fact, but it is now very secure. Probably more waterproof than that little O-ring, too. However, I seem to be blocking conductivity. I imagine I've just overlapped something with tape, which as soon as I get a few free moments, I'll try to fix.

Update

Glee!
(It's on, but hard to tell)
This is great, thanks for everyones fantastic suggestions.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a L0D the return circuit is closed by the edge of the body tube (not anodized) and the corresponding ring inside the head. You have to make sure that you can see the bare metal on top of the body and of course that the ring on the PCB in the head is also clean.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
I usually wait to read a whole thread before responding, for exactly this reason.

The first thing I thought of upon seeing the pic of your light was teflon tape :)

After awhile you'll have to replace it, as it wears easily, but it's definitely a good quickfix.