"Zundmittel" and a German built box of curious description

fracman

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a large, heavy wooden box with numerous compartments. It was labeled as a "French Army Field Desk" which I am certain it is not. The workmanship is exceptional with the lower half of the approximatey 75x75x15 cm box has numerous compartments. The upper half contains two large compartments that open. On each of the lids of the upper compartment is a layout ("Packbild")-- one a drawing of the compartments and the other an inventory of the "zundmittel" (two dots over the u):

Typical entries include:

1. Aufbewahrungskasten Zundmittel, DM 759 (long number) 1 Stk.
2. Sprenkapsel elektrisch, DM 12A1 (long number) 150 Stk.

Any ideas on what this rascal is? Hey, it might involve flashlights!
confused.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
"Aufbewahrungskasten" means storage-box, "Sprengkapsel" is something like cartridges and "Zündmittel" is something that's used to start a fire... hope that helps a bit.

chris

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I hope you have just got the box, not the former contents. It seems to me that what you have is a explosives operator's toolbox:

"Zündmittel" (I hope the 'umlaut-u' will make it onto your screen) is a fuse, and "Sprengkapsel" is a detonator.

Please take care ... you might be about to launch the final firework ...

fracman

Newly Enlightened
That seems to be the case on further review. This box apparently contained detonation fuses, wires, etc. which could explain the precision of packing, the careful construction and so forth. It was empty and I thank you all for the help.