Novatac LOTC..............

PFloyd

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if this has already been posted.

I got my 120T on Friday(sweet light). I found out that by unscewing the tailcap just a little, you can effectively lockout the switch to prevent accidental operation during carry.

Thought all Novatac owners might like to know this.

Regards
Bob-aka-PFloyd

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
PFloyd...OUTSTANDING! I had no idea...just another reason to be EXTREMELY pleased with my 120T! Thanx for the "heads-up"!

PJD

BBL

Enlightened
what did you guys expect, that the light keeps working if you disassemble it? I would call that a 'standard feature' on every light.

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
what did you guys expect, that the light keeps working if you disassemble it? I would call that a 'standard feature' on every light.

Well, yea, except that it hardly needs to be turned at all. The amount of turn needed is only like a 10th of a full turn to keep the light from working, so there is not much risk of over turing to the point that you risk getting water in it or any thing.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Caution, you shouldn't loosen the tail cap if you are using rechargeables. When you screw the tail cap back on the light will think you have installed a fresh battery. This could cause an over discharge.

xr4fun

Newly Enlightened
Grubbster from what I understand that was true of the HDS, but not the Novatac. With the novatac once the battery protection has been set using a battery detect reset with a fully charged rechargeable battery it remembers that setting until you do another battery reset. At least that is my understanding of it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

xiaowenzu

Banned
:D
At least that is my understanding of it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. The Novatac 120P is programmed for different batteries. and if you want to change from rechargables to primaries, you'll have to reprogram it again. :D Also, I'm loving my 120T! I'm playing with it right now in a darkened room, shining it on lots of stuff. :D

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that's an option but personally I wouldn't use that method since you not only have the button lock out mode but you can also set the option for auto-power off (after 5 minutes). If I carry the Novatac in a bag I put it in a small zippered leather case that would make it difficult to push the button accidentally anyway. My biggest concern with leaving the tailcap unscrewed is if you have the clip installed it's going to tend to rub and eat away at the O-ring on the tail section. Your O-ring would probably be fairly short lived. I haven't looked at how much space is there with a very small loosening but I'd take a close look if you choose to do this.

paxxus

Enlightened
Use the button lock feature. Not only is it there for that purpose, it is also much faster to lock/un-lock, doesn't wear the O-ring and it can be done one-handed.

Also, the retaining ring in the tail-cap might come loose :devil: :poke:

Supernam

Enlightened
You would not wear out the O-ring in the fashion described above. It only takes 1/16th of a rotation to "lock out" the Novatac. Therefore, the even with the clip installed, it wouldn't even come close to the o-ring.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Grubbster from what I understand that was true of the HDS, but not the Novatac. With the novatac once the battery protection has been set using a battery detect reset with a fully charged rechargeable battery it remembers that setting until you do another battery reset. At least that is my understanding of it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
The instructions for the Novatac state on page 12 to only insert a fully charged lithium ion battery. Maybe I am misinterpreting that statement and assuming that it is the same as a HDS. I like to err on the side of caution with those batteries.:tinfoil:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The instructions for the Novatac state on page 12 to only insert a fully charged lithium ion battery. Maybe I am misinterpreting that statement and assuming that it is the same as a HDS. I like to err on the side of caution with those batteries.:tinfoil:

You need to have a fully charged cell following a soft reset in order for it to correctly determine battery type.

Mad1

Enlightened
PFloyd...OUTSTANDING! I had no idea...just another reason to be EXTREMELY pleased with my 120T! Thanx for the "heads-up"!

PJD

LOL easy on the sarcasm. :nana:

Krahl

Newly Enlightened
I`m reading this thread with interest.
How does the light keep the individual programming when it is seperated from the powersupply. Does it have something like a flash memory??

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, smart-a**. Most lights that have a LOTC as a feature have that feature mentioned in the accompanying manual. The NovaTac's manual made no mention of this feature. And no, it's NOT a standard feature on every light. In fact, on a LOT of lights you have to damn near take the tail cap all the way off before any type of "lock-out" (intentional or otherwise) can be had. But I DO appreciate your "know it all" sarcasm...

PJD

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
No, smart-a**. Most lights that have a LOTC as a feature have that feature mentioned in the accompanying manual. The NovaTac's manual made no mention of this feature. And no, it's NOT a standard feature on every light. In fact, on a LOT of lights you have to damn near take the tail cap all the way off before any type of "lock-out" (intentional or otherwise) can be had. But I DO appreciate your "know it all" sarcasm...
PJD

i count 12 assembled lights on my desk alone - surefire, fenix, pelican, inova, wolf-eyes - and they all loose contact imediately if i loosen the tailcap or another part. I have no sample, where this would be different.