Got my SL Stylus Pro & Microstream!

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Late Saturday I received the new StreamLight Stylus Pro 2xAAA penlight and the 1xAAA version called the MicroStream.
The quick and dirty review: These are REAL FLASHLIGHTS! There should be no more need for apologies or excuses that "all I have on me is this little penlight..." These lights are bright and have excellent beam quality and the tint of both were very nice. They have forward clickies that work smoothly and so far I am very pleased.
They are rated waterproof to 1 meter and the head is glued. They are a little longer than a common competitor, the RR/Nuwai 2xAAA and 1xAAA, but they are slender enough to qualify as penlights.
The head diameter is just slightly larger than my Fenix L0P SE and E1 but with a more slender body tube.
I find the 1xAAA to be better proportioned. The 2xAAA is 1/2-inch shorter than the Energizer 2xAAA 5mm penlight, but the thin barrel makes it look a little too stretched. Both StreamLights fit the hand nicely in an overhand grip with your thumb on the end forward-clickie. Did I mention it was a FORWARD-clickie?
Of course, their clips are set for bezel-down carry in a pocket. They come with batteries installed and you can test them in the package.
They are about twice the price of the RR/Nuwai, but I think they are easily 3 to 4 times better lights due to the much better beam quality, tint and brightness. They are 3 to 5 times more expensive than 5mm penlights but they truly blow them away for beam quality alone, not to mention their other attributes.
They are rated 24 and 20 lumens with run times of 7.5 and 1.5 hours. I'll have to see what their brightness curves look like with some more use.
The matte black finish is really nice. It reminds me of the early Fenix ceramic look, but even more matted.
The emitter looks similar to the one in the Pentagonlight MOLLE anglehead that I've recently written about, but is actually different on closer inspection. It's smaller on the Streamlights and the reflector comes right to the dome. Brightness is similar but the smaller, smooth reflector of the StreamLights give more throw and a slightly smaller spill. The spill is bright though and the hotspot is clean and nicely diffuses into the spill. My L0P SE is brighter on high, with a slightly larger hotspot and slightly wider spill, but the Streamlights were not far behind at all.
The 2xAAA comes with a sheath and the 1xAAA comes with an adjustable neck lanyard and small split-ring.
If these lights continue to perform as they have at first, they are real winners in my opinion.

Last edited:

supes

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, RebelXTNC! Sounds like THE penlight is finally out. I was wondering when there would be a NON-AAAA penlight that worked good. Is the LED tint bluish still? I really don't like that blue.

Postive clicky?! Woot!
Where did you get yours from? Didn't seem them at brightguys last time I checked, ast least the 2AA version.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I ordered mine from Lighthound.
He had both and the prices were lower than I had researched too.
The tint on both of mine are great. No blue and no problem with artifacts in the hotspot or spill.
I'm hoping the 1.5 hour runtime on the 1xAAA will be to 50% and then diminishing after that. And not 1.5 hours till nothing useful is coming out.
The runtime is the only thing I see as a potential drawback of the MicroStream.

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
Great news RebelXTNC.

I've got 5 Stylus'(in 3 different colors) so its good to see Streamlight is upgrading. I'm going to pick up at least the Microstream, maybe both. :duh2:

Can you tell what type of emitter is used?

And is it the same one in both lights?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I don't know what emitter this is. It's very small, probably a hair under 3mm across and the hole in the reflector isn't big enough to see any underlying details. It's a tight fit at the bottom of the surprisingly deep reflector.
Both lights' emitters look the same. The heads, clips and tailcaps appear identical. Just the slender body tube length and the printing is different.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I'm not supposed to buy any more new lights but these are pretty tempting...

How's the beam at close range (like 2-3 cm)? Any doughnut hole?
Is it awkward to actually carry the 2AAA in the shirt pocket like a pen?

mhubble

Enlightened
Got my STYLUS PRO today. Nice light. Very well made. I really like the switch. Comparing it to the DORCY 2AAA I got awhile back the Streamlight is brighter, longer run time and the switch is alot easier to use. Heres a few pics.

Streamlight side by side with the DORCY.
p8270001lb3.jpg

eewh5.jpg

p8270006mm3.jpg

bouncer

Enlightened
Thanks for the review I want a microstream and the molle light and thinking about the stylus pro only so many lights you can carry at a time ya know !

I already edc 3 lights !

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
To answer a couple of questions from above, the beam does start to show a very slight donut hole from about 1.5 inches or less to the target. It's about 1/10th as bad as an original L1P does in that respect though. To be honest its almost too bright to use it that close to something.
About 3 inches away would be perfect for say, removing a splinter.
The 2xAAA version could be carried in a duty uniform pocket or other substantial clothing. It's the right length for a dress shirt pocket, but it's heavier than a pen and the largest diameter is at the bezel rather than being tapered like a pen or a 5mm penlight. For pockets in lightweight clothing, the 1xAAA is more easily carried.
I don't want to paint a picture that the 2xAAA is too big, I think it's great compared to other penlights I've handled. But I do think it's right on the limit of weight, length and diameter for a deluxe penlight. It has a dense, substantial feel to it, and it's really intended for duty pockets I think.

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I got the microsteam and like it a lot. I keep it on my key ring and carry it all the time. The regulation is great, and the brightness stays for the most part constant, but it shuts off at 1.5 hours. My only gripe with it is the total lack of moon-mode, or warning before the batteries die.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The 2xAAA is exactly 5.25 inches.

The 1xAAA is 3.5 inches.

For 100 Official Feel Good Points, what's the length of a AAA battery?

I haven't heard what the emitter is exactly, but it is very small.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's looks like really nice quality.

I guess what I was thinking is that I might just be happier carrying an LOD CE. Wouldn't this provide even more run-time, be brighter at it's brightest, be dimmer at it's dimmest and fit into a package 1/2 the size? Additionally, and extra 10440 could be carried for the LOD giving even more flexibility. What niche does the Stylus Pro fit into?

I was just wondering what you guys thought?

And I'm not sure Carrot, but that doesn't look like a Seoul to me.....? Could be wrong though.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The 2xAAA is exactly 5.25 inches.

The 1xAAA is 3.5 inches.

For 100 Official Feel Good Points, what's the length of a AAA battery?

I haven't heard what the emitter is exactly, but it is very small.

One AAA is 1.75 inches or 44mm

fluke

Enlightened
Any chance of beam shots please ???

Or at least confirmation that is is a white beam not blue.

I contacted Lighthound and they said they have a bluish tint, I have 2 Nuwai 0.5 watt 2 AAA lights that both have a very blue beams.

Just trying to save having one sent all the way over here to be disappointed.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Stylus Pro for a few days.

Observations and maybe answers to some of your questions:

1. Very rugged and seemingly well made. Very good overall quality and finish.

2. Tint is bluish. If that is a big issue for you, probably stay away.

3. IMO, a little bulky for pocket carry if you wear dress or regular sport shirts. Should be no problem in a heavier or uniform shirt.

4. Tailcap forward clicky with momentary is a winner.

5. By far the brightest penlight I have seen. Beam is decent with good spill. Remember, this is a very small reflector. Very usable.

6. I can't even guess what the emitter is. It is tightly surrounded at the bottom of a fairly deep reflector.

7. Superior to the Stylus in every way except small size and ease of pocket carry.

8. By far, the best penlight sized light I have seen or owned.

Mark

fluke

Enlightened
I have had my Stylus Pro for a few days.

Observations and maybe answers to some of your questions:

1. Very rugged and seemingly well made. Very good overall quality and finish.

2. Tint is bluish. If that is a big issue for you, probably stay away.

3. IMO, a little bulky for pocket carry if you wear dress or regular sport shirts. Should be no problem in a heavier or uniform shirt.

4. Tailcap forward clicky with momentary is a winner.

5. By far the brightest penlight I have seen. Beam is decent with good spill. Remember, this is a very small reflector. Very usable.

6. I can't even guess what the emitter is. It is tightly surrounded at the bottom of a fairly deep reflector.

7. Superior to the Stylus in every way except small size and ease of pocket carry.

8. By far, the best penlight sized light I have seen or owned.

Mark

Thank you for that :D
If it is bluish I think I will stay away.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
My 2xAAA and 1xAAA are not blue at all. I guess I could have gotten two winners, but the other comments on tint I've read in these posts since Saturday is usually a nice white.
We could probably take a poll on tint over the next week as more arrive.
One important thing to note is, even if it has a blue tint, it won't be an artifact-filled blue splotchy beam. The smoothness of the beam helps a lot compared to past 5mm or Nuwai .5W AAA lights even if your tint is off a little.