Why no strobe on the new L1?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx god there are a few manufacturers resisting the Strobe and Gimmicks wave of the recent years. I vote "no strobe" and "no multi-click". I vote KISS and against toys.

On the bright side though ... there aren't that many lights out there that are of interest to me any more.
Makes it easier to chose and cheaper to maintain the hobby.

bernie

planex

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Kiessling. The simpler the operation the better. That is the primary reason I am getting the Fenix L1T v2 even though I have the L1D CE. No gimmicky modes, simply high and low.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely agree. I have several Fenix lights, and they all have strobe and sos....of which I NEVER use. I use high and low on my lights and am completely happy with those two settings. I will soon have a Surefire L1 and am very glad it will only have high and low.

Edit: My new Fenix L2T thankfully does not have all the extra levels. Just high and low with a tactical clickie.

Last edited:

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened
I like how the L1 is set up, but it would be nice if you turned in some for low, in a little more for high and all the way in for strobe. This way, how it functions now wouldn't be affected. Don't want a multi-click tailcap.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I think it would be nice if you could disable the strobe mode on most lights that have it. But companies want to throw in all the options that they can.
Would be nice to be able to order them without certain modes :grin2:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix strobe isn't that fast anyway. The Jetbeam's is more effective if you want that sort of thing.

boosterboy

Enlightened
Yeah,

I like KISS stuff too because when you are under duress, you don't have the composure or fine motor skills to manipulate your light fast enough.

Unless you practice everyday:cool:

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Strobe and S.O.S are not necessary. I can see where some people might want those modes but I prefer lights without them! (Are you listening Fenix?) :)

ja10

Enlightened
I can't stand flashing modes. The only decent implementation of that "feature" that I've seen is on the Aviatrix mod. If I remember right, with a series of flashes you can activated strobe and SOS, but it is completely hidden from normal usage.

If I ever need something that flashes, I'll get a specialized beacon that is designed for that purpose. I'd prefer that all flashlight makers remove that feature from everything except perhaps specialized mountaineering/S&R/etc lights.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have no objection to strobe and various other flashing options as long as I do not have to cycle through them during regular use of the light. I like how HDS hides them in the menu and how the Gladius/Typhoon places a strobe in it's own position on the dial. If I have to cycle through a strobe to turn the light off or get to the more everyday useful settings, then I would rather not have it.

aceo07

Enlightened
The only way I don't mind strobe/sos is if they hide it away so it's not part of the normal clicking cycle.

Maybe you should look into the Gladius, I think that provides easy access to a nice strobe.