Which of these is the longer thrower?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing the WF-800 3W Q2 since the Q2 is more efficient then the P4 used in the Super thrower. You can further upgrade the throw by swapping the LED with a Cree Q5(it's actually not that hard) which is the brightest Cree out right now. The Super Projector is smaller then the WF and would be my choice if I was to swap emitters.

Welcome to CPF!

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
not hard? What is involved in altering the led of a flashlight with a better one? Perhaps its possible to change the led in a C2 for a Q5? Tell me this is possible ? :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Changing the LED of the C2, I presume you mean the Ultrafire C2(there is also a Surefire C2), If yes then this quote might help(But you'll need a bare Q5 emitter and you'll have to remove the black covering on your Ultrafire C2, you should also clip the corners of the emitter base to prevent shorting)

Sometime ago I received my C2 from DealExtreme. My initial reaction when I saw the output was to blow it up or launch it up in the sky. I contacted DX and they offered to replace it for me, they seem to be good people. Problem is that the C2 is out of stock and I do not want to wait for a replacement two more months. So I decided to dissect it to have a look at the driver and the innards of the switch. I took the switch apart and had to superglue it back together, utter junk. Then I went for the pill..

With the protective cover off. Strange looking star thingy. I desoldered one lead and measured current to the led, 1090 mA. Very good. Now I decided to leave the driver alone since it is soldered to the pill with high temp solder, very hard to get loose.
C22.jpg

It turns out that the star thingy is glued with a dab of ordinary contact glue to the heatsink. No thermal paste. Not so good.
C23.jpg

I put in a cutdown P4 WC tint star. Put some thermal grease under it.
C24.jpg

Put the broken cover back on. I will fix this with epoxy later.
C26.jpg

The result is good. The light is now about as bright as it should be, slightly over 4000 Lux in throw and slightly over 8400 Lux in total output. It's almost as bright as the DX Eastward YJ U2 style light.

Before i changed the emitter the output was about 2500 Lux in throw and 4000 Lux in total output.

This b*gger was the problem. Defective Cree led, bin unknown.
C25.jpg

This is not a good flashlight. It is poorly designed and constructed. With a good switch and better quality control it would have some potential.
Stefan

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
Neither. Go with the WF-600. It is exactly the same light as the super thrower, but it has a brighter Q2 emitter. It's white, bright, and throws a quarter of a mile for $28 at DX.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Neither. Go with the WF-600. It is exactly the same light as the super thrower, but it has a brighter Q2 emitter. It's white, bright, and throws a quarter of a mile for $28 at DX.

1300 feet? 400 meters?

You'll have a hard time convincing me that it produces a usable light on something at that distance.

fluke

Enlightened
Can the WF-600 be used with 2 CR123's ???
I assumed an 18650 was the same size as 2 CR132's.

bspofford

Enlightened
The WF-600 is an 18650 only light. Don't use 2X16340 cells. I also have both the WF-400 (3.7-9V) and WF-400 (18650), and the latter is much brighter. I live in the foothills of the Colorado mountains and take my dog out every night. I know how far a quarter mile is, and I find the WF-600 is "useable" at this distance. BTW, all three of my WF-600's are noticeably brighter than my three MRV's.

Portage Lakes

Newly Enlightened
So the WF-800 should have the same throw as the WF-600 but the WF-800 will have better runtime since it uses 2 18650 cells with the down side being a longer tube? Does that sound right?

Portage Lakes

Newly Enlightened
The WF-600 is an 18650 only light. Don't use 2X16340 cells. I also have both the WF-400 (3.7-9V) and WF-400 (18650), and the latter is much brighter. I live in the foothills of the Colorado mountains and take my dog out every night. I know how far a quarter mile is, and I find the WF-600 is "useable" at this distance. BTW, all three of my WF-600's are noticeably brighter than my three MRV's.

Thanks bspofford! I just ordered the WF-600 from DX.

bspofford

Enlightened
One note about tail caps. All of the WF-400 lights and most of the WF-600 lights seem to have an improved silicone switch cover with an integral silicone post that contacts the switch. If you happen to get an early tail cap that doesn't click smoothly, it probably has a malfitting small black metal/plastic disc under the silicone cover. This mechanism is very common and is in many brands of lights. I check them all and replace the loose discs with a snug-fitting disc made from a 16mm silicone cover from DX. Here is my fix:

ClickyFix.jpg

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
Just got my WF-600, but it's not 18650 only

Just got WF-600 Q2 18650 only from DX and it's NOT "18650 only". It's "Multi-Power 3.6V - 9V" so I'm guessing it will take 2 RCR123A batteries. But I wanted the 18650 version for better efficiency and runtime. I haven't used it yet since I'm trying to get some resolution from DX (not responsive so far).