Fenix L0D upgrade?

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm considering buying a Fenix L0D. Until five minutes ago, I was sure that I would want an L0D-CE. However, I noticed a few threads referencing a L0D with a new type of LED (Rebel 100).
This apparently isn't for sale yet, but should I wait for the new bulb? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Rebel 100 over the Cree? Thanks!

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
The RB100 would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't exist as a stock item yet, and there's no estimate for release. I've asked foursevens about it, and that's what he told me.

The real question is, Do you need a light now? If so, get it. If you don't need it, feel free to wait, but you'll never know how long you'll be waiting!

The CPF alternative is to get one now, and get one later! :p

Gunner12

Flashaholic
...What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Rebel 100 over the Cree? Thanks!
The advantage of the Rebel 100 is that it is more efficient then the Cree P4-Q3 binned LEDs(with the P4 being the most common). The tint should also be better the a Cree's. It is also cheaper then the Cree(depending on Bin). The Rebel has a wider emitting cone the the Cree due to the Cree having a metal ring, that means more light will be hitting the reflector. The only disadvantage I could see is the size(could also be a plus), it is about four times smaller then the Cree.

The Rebel 80 version should be bright enough and should have a bit more throw then the Cree version.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! Wow, 1/4 the size of a cree and even more light- the wonders of technology. I think I'll probably wait for the Rebel version, because I don't urgently need one, although I may give in in about a month and get a Cree. Therefore, I bet the Rebel 100 version will be announced in about a month and a day :)

@zigziggityzoo- is foursevens a Fenix representative or an informed CPF'er?
Either way, thanks for contacting him!

" Welcome to CPF!" -thanks Gunner12, I like it here.

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! Wow, 1/4 the size of a cree and even more light- the wonders of technology. I think I'll probably wait for the Rebel version, because I don't urgently need one, although I may give in in about a month and get a Cree. Therefore, I bet the Rebel 100 version will be announced in about a month and a day :)

@zigziggityzoo- is foursevens a Fenix representative or an informed CPF'er?
Either way, thanks for contacting him!

" Welcome to CPF!" -thanks Gunner12, I like it here.
foursevens is the owner of fenix-store.com, the best place to buy a Fenix light, IMHO. He's got direct contact with Fenix Lights over on the other side of the globe, so I'd trust his input, and you should too :p.

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
foursevens is the owner of fenix-store.com, the best place to buy a Fenix light, IMHO. He's got direct contact with Fenix Lights over on the other side of the globe, so I'd trust his input, and you should too :p.
Good to know. Thanks :)

Even though the R80 is available (thanks E.G.), I still think I'll try waiting a few weeks to see if Fenix announces anything new.