Malkoff        
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Novatac Extension Tube?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    753

    Default Novatac Extension Tube?

    I heard that there was an extension tube or 2x123 body of some sort for the HDS. Is there such tube available for the Novatac? Can someone make it (LEEF!)?

    Just think of the runtime gain from an 18650, or even a 17650.


    EDIT: OPPS WRONG FORUM! SORRY!

  2. #2
    Flashaholic lukestephens777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    This is a great idea! Come on Leef!!!
    An affordable 18650 tube would be perfect for the Novatac!!

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,598

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    I'm amazed no modders have done this. They currently sell for $150 used on BST.

    The only thing unique is the spring. I guess the lathe guys don't know any spring guys?

    Talk to Data, he had custom wound springs made for the spy.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

  4. #4
    Flashaholic strideredc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    cave dave is right, why has no one made a 2x cr123 tube for the HDS? someone could make a killing!

    sorry to run off thread, but they could make a novtac one aswell (not 2xcr123)

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario. CAN.
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    Someone just needs to remake the old HDS Tubes. They fit the old HDS and the new Novatac lights. Only thing is the Novatacs only take slightly more than 4.2v. The old HDS takes up to 7.3v. Springs can't be that hard. The switch is the hardest part to make, but you shouldn't need to.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North West Georgia
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    Someone just needs to remake the old HDS Tubes. They fit the old HDS and the new Novatac lights. Only thing is the Novatacs only take slightly more than 4.2v. The old HDS takes up to 7.3v. Springs can't be that hard. The switch is the hardest part to make, but you shouldn't need to.
    Exactly, just remake the HDS tubes. But having said that, and as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow morning, someone will eventually pop 2x123 batts into the tube instead of a 17670 and blow up their new Novatac!

    Best Regards:
    Bob

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    DM51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Borg cube #51
    Posts
    13,339

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    That may be why they haven't made them - they don't want a whole lot of returns because of this, as it probably wouldn't be possible to prove how the circuit had blown. It would cost them a lot of money to fix these problems, and it wouldn't be good for their image.

    If they'd made the circuits good for 8.4v instead of just 4.5v, this would never have been a potential problem.
    Resistance is futile...

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario. CAN.
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    That may be why they haven't made them - they don't want a whole lot of returns because of this, as it probably wouldn't be possible to prove how the circuit had blown. It would cost them a lot of money to fix these problems, and it wouldn't be good for their image.

    If they'd made the circuits good for 8.4v instead of just 4.5v, this would never have been a potential problem.
    I wondered if they simplified the new circuit significantly. In the original HDS the circuit was good officially till 7.4v and could take up to like 11v in a limp home mode. I remember Henry saying you could pop 2 RCR123s in the 2xCR123 tube but it will only light up dimly and the light would not respond to clicks. I wonder if this safety feature was removed in the new UI. Henry thought of almost everything in the old HDS.

    Another thing to think about tho. All the fenix tubes fit different fenix heads and people don't seem to mind Leef making them. Why are we so cautious?

  9. #9
    Flashaholic strideredc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    lets start a interest list and think of someone who can do this?

  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario. CAN.
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    I can think of Leef and Nekomane as people who have the experience in machining tubes.

    The most important part of these tubes is the anodizing because it helps "control" the circuit.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic speederino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    Good point. The spring must be electrically isolated from the body so that 'clicks' can be transmitted independently of the LED current. Anodizing inside the body must be right.

    Maybe an 18500 body would prevent an inadvertent over-4.2v situation? I'd still like to see an 18650 though!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Novatac Extension Tube?

    Quote Originally Posted by speederino View Post
    Good point. The spring must be electrically isolated from the body so that 'clicks' can be transmitted independently of the LED current. Anodizing inside the body must be right.

    Maybe an 18500 body would prevent an inadvertent over-4.2v situation? I'd still like to see an 18650 though!

    18500!!!!
    Great idea

    I already have a lot of 2x cr123 size lights and like the HDS/Novatac for it's small size,
    A 18670 tube just does not grab my attention like a 18500 tube..., now that I would get multiples of
    For sale- Nyogel 760G, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162148
    For sale- Light diffuse film, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162161
    For sale- Glass,lens & reflector cleaning cloths, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162162
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •