I always thought LED lights were average...

justin504

Newly Enlightened
Until I revieved my Fenix L2DR100 last week! My dad has a couple led torches that have useless light output. Based on that I thought led torches were all junk. But I was out shopping, saw some nice led lights and the bug bit!

I went home, did my research and ordered the Fenix. I really liked the way it maintains constant light output and doesn't dim, the multiple modes, the Rebel 100, the runtime, and the general reputation.

When I used it for the first time at night I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. The light output was amazing. The throw is awesome, but just the raw light ouput is something I wouldn't have believed unless I'd seen it.

The Rebel 100, at 90lm/W is up there with the best leds available as well. I've since oredered the P2D CE body as well. The idea that a torch 8cm x 2cm can produce that much light is too good to resist.

Justin.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: kewl

welcome!

nice choice on the fenix, now that you have tested the good stuff, you'll only want more, lol.

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: kewl

Before I came here... me too. Only, my first "real" LED light was only 30-40 lumens, depending on whose calculations are correct. :D

xiaowenzu

Banned
Until I revieved my Fenix L2DR100 last week! My dad has a couple led torches that have useless light output. Based on that I thought led torches were all junk. But I was out shopping, saw some nice led lights and the bug bit!
Well just wait till you try the good stuff such as Surefire, Novatacs, etc. You'll be hooked by the quality, forward clickies, and beam pattern! :party:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My first LED purchase was a knock-off Inova X5 with 5 horribly dim, blue-tinted LEDs. :green:

My first real LED was the Fenix L2T ... fond memories to see it resurrected in Rebel form. :twothumbs

And welcome aboard to CPF!

travlingtexanman

Newly Enlightened
I know how you feel. Untill I bought my Novatac 3 days ago, I had been using a mini mag for as long as I can remember.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great first choice. I have several LED lights and I just ordered the L2D with Rebel 100. BTW, did you know you can order the L1D body and use the head and clicky cap from the L2D with the L1D body and run it with a single AA battery. Cool option and all you really lose are the super high from turbo mode on 2AA and you lose battery run time of course. Other wise the light levels on low, med, and high are close enough to call the same.

Illum

Flashaholic
don't judge the technology of the LED based solely on consumer goods alone...

most stuff that you can buy in Wally, etc tend to be old/useless technology compared to what you see in say fenix

D-Dog

Enlightened
Yup, most of the things you buy in stores still use 5mm diodes or maybe a cheap 1W. I just got my L2D-CE and its already outdated... noooo

justin504

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

My P2D body should be arriving today! My work involves leds and led driving circuits every now and then so hopefully I should be able to get some sample leds when more efficient versions are released.

I really value efficiency in my leds, and the Rebel 100 is up there with the Cree Q4 and the Seoul P4. It is a good time for leds at the moment, the research time and money being spent in that area is phenominal.

The Novatacs look like very nice lights!

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF, your wallet will never be burdened again carrying money.

No kidding! I joined a few weeks ago, heard about the Rayovac 3c Cree lamp and ran out and got one. Now I'm hearing about the new higher effecient LEDs...

Good bye money or is that good buy money :huh: