How many here think an SF L4 is a must for all flashaholics?

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
As the question suggests, how many of us here think it is a must for all flashaholics to have a SF L4 just to have it?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the question suggests, how many of us here think it is a must for all flashaholics to have a SF L4 just to have it?

I don't think that's the case. I don't have an L4, but I'll throw this out there...

Just my .02, I'd say that lights like the Kroma Milspec are "just to have" lights that are amazing and very cool to play with for the tech-geek/flashaholic, but I don't think in the day to day activities, a lot of people have a use for IR/blue/red led's that aren't Law Enforcement or Military. The L4 is a very popular EDC light that gets a lot of use. Simple interface, one-stage output, pocketable, robust.

xiaowenzu

Banned

+1. Well, the L4 is known as a workhorse for many of us Flashaholics on CPF, it's warrantied for life, and they don't call Surefires "wall of light" for nothing. :twothumbs

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would have agreed maybe a year or two ago.

I now think that as the L4 is using an emitter that is only half as efficient
as ones currently available that although its still a great light, that I would
rather wait until one of equally good quality comes along using a
new emitter.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure many others would disagree.

BTW, I do have an L4 that I bought before Cree-XRE's and Seoul's were
available and as I said its a very nice, well-made light.

Its just that if there was a Seoul emitter in the KL4 head, it would have
about twice the run-time for the same brightness without heating up
nearly as much.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my L4!!!!

But then again, it has been "updated" for an even more effective wall of light!
SF416.jpg

ja10

Enlightened
I would say 'no' ...

I bought an L4 a year ago, but took it back after playing around with it for a day. Nothing was wrong with it, but it just didn't meet my needs. For outdoor use, I felt that the flood was too wide. Not only would it not throw, but every time I fired it up, I would end up lighting up something that I wasn't intending - a dog, person, a car, etc. For indoor use it would be great at lighting up an entire room - but - if the room was already dark, chances are I just want to have enough light to find my way, and not so much to make me blind.

Many of you have L4s and love them, and I'm not denying that. It is a strong light that really excels in a few situations. For me (and others I believe), those few situations aren't encountered often enough to warrant the $150 price. I ended up spending the extra money and getting a U2, since the throw-ability and multiple levels makes it more useful for random day to day use.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also say no, it is not a must have. It is a good light and great quality. But a light you will use sometimes is better then a light just for show and tell. As mentioned a current gen LED is more of a must have then the L4. But of course since you haven't said why you collect or why you buy flashlights or what your needs are well then this information may not be helpful to you.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is very bright!
I wanted a mule but decided to use the parts I had laying around and make my own version...with a twist:thumbsup:

I liked the L4 when I first got it, but then had so many lights to choose from that the L4 lost its appeal to me. Now that is has been upgraded I find that i use it SO much more!

I have to agree that the L4 needs to be updated. The Lux V is outdated and the runtime sucks. I think a Seoul or Cree would bring efficiency and output up to date nicely and help a bit with thermal issues.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the L2. I had an L4 and ended up giving it to my Brother. I never thought I'd be writing this but the Fenix P1 CE is a quarter of the size and price and performs just as well.

It is a very nice light though. I'm old school, I think the E2e is a must have!

kelmo

greenLED

Flashaholic
I gave it some thought a while back, and decided it wasn't for me. Too much light, running too hot, runtime too short. Now that the Cree L1 is here, I'd rather have one of those than an L4.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think any light is a must have for all flashaholics. I love my L4. The L4 is great for people who want a great indoor floodlight (and are willing to pay the price).

Wow! DaFABRICATA, your L4 mod is very cool. Did you do it yourself? Do you have any beamshots?

I love my L4!!!!

But then again, it has been "updated" for an even more effective wall of light!
SF416.jpg

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO SF lights are too pricey to be on a must have list. Would LIKE to have, sure, but MUST have, no.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would have agreed maybe a year or two ago.

I now think that as the L4 is using an emitter that is only half as efficient
as ones currently available that although its still a great light, that I would
rather wait until one of equally good quality comes along using a
new emitter.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure many others would disagree.

BTW, I do have an L4 that I bought before Cree-XRE's and Seoul's were
available and as I said its a very nice, well-made light.

Its just that if there was a Seoul emitter in the KL4 head, it would have
about twice the run-time for the same brightness without heating up
nearly as much.

I completely agree. A couple of years ago nothing could touch the L4 for the perfect combination of brightness and runtime. Now there are lights like the P3D Rebel and others. IMO the L4 is long in the tooth and I wish that surefire would have updated this model. I could never recommend to a friend to buy the L4 when there is so much more performance available for so much less money. Just my 2 cents..

Supernam

Enlightened
It's a great light that still performs well. However, I think it does need some upgrading. I would not buy one in its current form unless I was planning on having it modded to a SSC or Cree. I appreciate the floodiness and output, but the runtime is sad.

I would keep everything the same about it other than the emitter itself. Imagine the L4 with a SSC or Cree at 100 lumens and triple the current runtime. Also what would be nice is a slightly larger bore so that it can run an 18650. But we know SF is making a lot of $$ selling CR123's, so that's not going to happen soon.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If a Cree, Seoul, or Rebel 100 put out the same beam that the KL4 does and can do it with an RCR123, or 17500, or 17670, or 18650 then I am interested. You see, I am sold on the beam, and the boost drive that allows one LiIon to regulate, and do it up to two hours with an 18650.

No the L4 is not a must have (for me) the KL4 is.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no doubt that the KL4 is a wonderful part. I have 4 or 5 of 'em.
That said it is definatly NOT the right light for everbody.
Just like how a PD is not the right lightg for everybody also like how a mini mag isn't perfect for everybody.
There are people who swear that their lives wouldn't be the same without the light they love.

IMHO the KL4 (not the L4) Is a great tool. As a tool it has a place in just about anybodies tool box.

I have yet to find another production flashlight which has a beam which even closl resembles the beam produced by the KL4.
That unique combination of Lux V and reflector is unique. I guess that is why SureFire has not replaced it with a light which uses a next gen emitter.
Yaesumofo

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art, Yes I did do the mod myself. It was pretty easy to do, provided you can get the KL4 apart. I used a shark converter to run them. I'll try to find beamshots to post.