difference between 2 lights.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 different lights with its pros and cons.

1st light has good throw but not a good coating

2nd has lesser throw but is just as bright and has HA type III coating.

Illum

Flashaholic
stippled reflectors smooth out beam artifacts of a conventional smooth reflector...used to cover impurities in the beam due to mis alignment or focus issues....but at the cost for throw

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
silly question.
what does the coating do?

There are 3 types of coating. The first type (type 1) is the weakest, and easiest to scratch off. Type 2 is stronger than type 1, and will resist scratching more. Type 3 is the best type of coating and is stronger than the other two types of coating. It will resist being scratched and can really take a beating.

Illum

Flashaholic
There are 3 types of coating. The first type (type 1) is the weakest, and easiest to scratch off. Type 2 is stronger than type 1, and will resist scratching more. Type 3 is the best type of coating and is stronger than the other two types of coating. It will resist being scratched and can really take a beating.

keep in mind that not all type 3 lights resist being scratched....I know because I tossed a surefire A2, inova XO3, and a fenix L2P all spec'd at type 3 in a duffel bag, slung it across my back and gone jogging for a good mile....i dunno what surefire uses but I'm assuming an addictive [it shows no scratches whatsoever]

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
The first light is a 2 mode high/low and the second light is one mode. I've been trying to decide which one myself. I need flood because I'm going to try and make a bike light out of it. I'm assuming either one would be good to experiment with.