Did I just make a really dumb mistake?

D-Dog

Enlightened
I ordered an L2D-CE from fenix a few weeks ago, however, for the same price, I could have gotten the L2D-rebel100. Was this a really stupid move, and if it wasn't, why are the CE and the rebel still the same price?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
You didn't make a mistake D-Dog. If you already own a Cree Fenix you might have went with the Rebel just to compare.

I got my P2D Rebel today and it doesn't seem any brighter than my P2D-Q2. The tint is definately warmer but other than that there isn't much difference between the two lights.

Just enjoy that L2D-CE!!! :)

D-Dog

Enlightened
Ok, thanks :) I guess it was just the 175 lumens vs 135. I know that a lot of it is marketing, but still, I was really worried that for the same price I could have bought a much better one. Also, do all the Fenix's use only Q2 Crees?

D-Dog

Enlightened
Is that why the jump from 9-40 lumens appears to be more drastic than the jump from 80 to 135? Isn't it something like square the lumens is twice the brightness?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Ok, thanks :) I guess it was just the 175 lumens vs 135. I know that a lot of it is marketing, but still, I was really worried that for the same price I could have bought a much better one. Also, do all the Fenix's use only Q2 Crees?

No they don't all use Cree Q2's. Most don't have them. They were sold as limited edition lights. If you go to the Fenix-Store website I think they still have certain lights available with the Q2's..

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L2D-CE is one of my favorite lights. Of course, there is always something brighter around the corner, but relax, you will dig the super bright turbo mode and extra long run times of the L2D CE.... destined to become a classic.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I you want a brighter light, replace the Cree in your L2D-CE with a Cree Q5. That should give you a bit more lumen then the rebel 100 version.

lumenal

Enlightened
The Fenix L2D-CE is one of my favorite lights. Of course, there is always something brighter around the corner, but relax, you will dig the super bright turbo mode and extra long run times of the L2D CE.... destined to become a classic.

Derek Dean, I couldn't agree with you more. :thumbsup:

I bought my L2D CE in late February, and it is one of my favorite lights.

I use it every night, and have never had an issue with it.

The super runtime and flat regulation with NiMH is superb.

I've run Sony 2700 mAh cells in it since day one, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Enjoy your new light D-Dog...

Patriot

Flashaholic
No, I don't think it's a stupid move. The CE has really proven itself. From what I've heard the difference is too small to see with the eyes.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did just fine! just enjoy the new light. These days models change so quickly. If we waited all the time for the next one, we'd probably never buy a light :laughing:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Ok, thanks everyone. I guess I was just worried that I bought a Cree when something else is right around the corner. Whats really amazing is that the max setting on my Jil intelli appears just a tad brighter than the 80 lumen high on the L2D-CE. I know that I probably have a good LED pulling 1.2 amps, however, does this make sense with what I think is a TWOH Luxeon III?

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
Really, something else is always around the corner. You shouldn't buy based on whatever's brightest. You should buy based on what your realistic needs are.

For instance, you dont want 150 lumens to check on a baby sleeping in its crib, something like 2-5 lumens would suffice. :p Same goes for reading in a dark car vs. walking your dog vs. spotting something (or someone) hiding in a field.