Help NovaTac EDC-120P Defective?

wolverine1

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I purchased one of the first NovaTac's (EDC-120P). The light has freaked out! I have tried resets, etc. As soon as you put in a battery, the light stays on constantly for approximately 10 seconds. It will not turn off or respond to any commands. After the 10 seconds the light goes off. Then after a few seconds it flashes 8 times with the last flash (8th) being longer. Next it repeats this except they are all the same duration (8 flashes). Then it repeats this over and over. Again, I have tried everything I know.

Thanks,

Rick

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick,

Contact Jim Schecter, he is the Director of Support Services at Novatac. The best guy to deal with on these issues.:thumbsup:

[email protected]

Ray

wolverine1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ray. I will try and contact him tomorrow. I have had excellent luck with HDS's and have purchased several of the new NovaTac's. I was really surprised to see this problem. From the way the light is acting, it appears that it is something in the software. Thanks again for such a quick response.

Rick

BBL

Enlightened
The described behaviour seems to me like a defined error state of the firmware.

Contact novatac, would be my recomendation.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hello,

I purchased one of the first NovaTac's (EDC-120P). The light has freaked out! I have tried resets, etc. As soon as you put in a battery, the light stays on constantly for approximately 10 seconds. It will not turn off or respond to any commands. After the 10 seconds the light goes off. Then after a few seconds it flashes 8 times with the last flash (8th) being longer. Next it repeats this except they are all the same duration (8 flashes). Then it repeats this over and over. Again, I have tried everything I know.

Thanks,

Rick

I had the same problem with mine. I think mine had switched on in transit and run the battery right down, as it completely failed to light up when using the duracell it was supplied with. When I first put a fresh battery in it, I observed exactly the same sequence as you. Anyway, all I did was take the battery out and wait 5 minutes. Upon reinserting the battery the torch behaved normally.

Maybe you should try this before going to the hassle of sending yours back.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
After a batterie change my NT flashes one time and after a short time 6 times. Nothing more. I switch off the tailcap and closed it again. After closing firm the one time flash comes and the light works.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hmm it seems I might have been premature with the fix. Mine worked OK for a few hours, but then switched itself on in the middle of the night and has behaved exactly like wolverine1's ever since. No amount of resetting will fix it. I'm off to email lighthound now...

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
All's well that ends well as far as I'm concerned. Lighthound immediately sent me a replacement 120P, and are cool if I wait to receive it before mailing the old one back - how's that for trust in your (overseas) customers?!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a reversed battery will "force" a reset.
Definatly remove the battery and let the light rest for a while so any charge in a capicitor can drain.

The Great thing about a company like NovaTac for people in the USA is they are a local company who is VERY quick to find a solution for an NovaTac flashlight related problems.
I have noticed that with both the NovaTac and the HDs lights and even the ARC 4 the needed a good reset if they start acting squirly....The very first thing I do is change the battery..No matter if t is new or not. 99% if the problems I have had were related to batterys. As such they were not even worth mentioning since it was a simple pattery "issue"
Good luck. Have faith that NovaTac will take care of any (non battery)issues.
Yaesumofo