MAG vs. Nite Ize LED Drop In ??

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I am newly addicted to this flashlight fascination. But like many, I try and read constantly (mostly here at CPF and at the circuitous route the links here take me).

So I cannot remember all I read, and of course I can't even be sure of WHAT I have read.....brain overload...which is easy to get with a small brain like mine.

Anyway, a few weeks back, in my early days of becoming a flashaholic:grin2:, I had bought a Maglite LED "Upgrade Module". I actually made a mistake and got the module that said "2 cell" (C or D), when my light is a 3 cell (C).

Having had no prior experiences with over-driven LED lights, I figured I'd take a chance (very soon after, I had tried three 6 volt cells in an Inova X03 - doubling voltage - and two of them in an Ultrafire C3 - more than doubling recommended voltage - with no damage...but for very short durations).

Anyway, at the time I figured if the Mag upgrade failed, I wouldn't ruin the light like I might have with the C3 Cree or the Inova....just the emitter. With Walmart receipt in hand, I gave it a shot. Worked perfectly. Still using it, and no problems at all so far. And unlike with the C3 and Inova with "too much voltage", the Maglite has been run for significant amounts of time - not hours, but practical amounts of time like 15-20 minutes or so. (I can always put back one of the original bulbs if necesary...came with two and one still rides in the tail cap).

As far as throw goes, it is my most powerful LED light.

But then I read here (or maybe more accurately THOUGHT I READ HERE about how the Nite Ize upgrade was superior to Mag's own. So yesterday I happened to notice in Walmart that they had the Nite Ize upgrade for 2-6 cell C or D cell Maglite for less than half of what I paid for the Mag drop in.

Now maybe it's because the light i have is a 3 cell light and the Mag drop in is rated for a 2 cell light while the Nite Ize is rated 2-6 cells (pretty wide spread!):sigh:

But bottom line is that the Mag drop in is so far brighter and better focused that they are not comparable in any way.

I even tried the Nite Ize in an old Garrity 4 cell light. No difference...same dim output. (Funny that it fit in the old Garrity as well a an old Rayovac three cell light while the Mag "bulb" only fit in the Mag light).

Did I get a defective emitter? Or did my memory fail me and I never actually did read that the Nite Ize was the better unit?

BTW, i had bought a Nite Ize drop in for a 2 cell Mini Mag a while ago...it is one of those 3 led pin modules. It doesn't even throw a beam at all. And is so blue it seems more like something to add or change color rather than illuminate anything.

I did keep it in the light in case I wanted something I figured would run for a month on 2 AA cells....with such low output I figured it couldn't possibly draw any current. (Yes, I realize I can be wrong about that, just like everything else at this point).

I also have a Mini Mag 3AA cell LED (factory unit) and it is quite strong. Just a bit of an odd shape - long and skinny. But a perfect glove box light to go along with my Brinkman Maxfire (that I like a lot - only incan light I've bought since getting bit by this bug - I did however do the "famous?" Eveready 2AA conversion to the three C123 with the Xenon bulb - It seems to have a bit broader flood (and maybe a little less throw) than the 2 cell Brinkman, but the overall quality does not stand up to the $20 Brinkman. I like the rubber shroud and clicky on the Brinkman...guess it's just personal preference. Still...for $10 in parts and five minutes of labor, it is a neat trick! (and no, I did NOT spray paint it black....lol).

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic..so easy to do when you are so new to all this as I am, so again..my apologies.

.My original question was; did I remember wrong? - thinking that I read here that the Nite Ize maglite drop in was a better unit than the Mag drop in? Or maybe they make a different model? As I said, the Nite Ize was less than half the price (I think about $8 while the Mag was really quite expensive....I think $18 - about as much as the complete light (with incan bulbs).

Any answers, thoughts, input appreciated. I hope not to stay "unenlightened" forever! LOL

Peace,
D.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The NiteIze unti is optimized for runtime (and it it does run seemingly forever). It will be no where near as bright as the MagLite conversion, nor should it be.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
The NiteIze unti is optimized for runtime (and it it does run seemingly forever). It will be no where near as bright as the MagLite conversion, nor should it be.

Wow...that was a simple and concise answer. This is good news to me since I live in S. Florida. - I can keep the Nite Ize unit in the tail cap and switch it if we have a power outage from another hurricane. For all out power, I can use the Mag unit.

Sure, living in Florida means we all have a good stash of batteries, But to use this (or any light) as a 'candle'.....(if I can get it to stand....too bad it doesn't fit into it's own head like the Mini Mags)..well the longer run time is an obvious advantage with the Nite Ize, and also, I would think the lower output would be more pleasant to light a room.

Thanks so much for the info. I love this website.!!!!

Peace,
D.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The reason the NiteIze can use a range of cells is because it uses something called a buck circuit. Essentially, if it's being used with 2 or 3 cells, it runs off that voltage of 3-4.5 volts, so 3 cells would be slightly brighter than 2 cells. If it's running on 4-6 cells, it reduces the voltage to 4.5 volts. So, with 3 or more cells, you won't get more brightness, just longer runtime from having more batteries. The Mag LED module is designed to work only with the set voltage instead of a range.

BTW, the 3-led NiteIze for your MiniMag should run around 20 hours on a fresh set of alkaline batteries. It was never made for throw, just a flood beam, although for that purpose, it should be brighter than your original incan bulb.

Check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html for comparisons of flashlights and upgrades.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I saw the same bulbs today at Target. The Nite-Ize bulbs say 2 C/D cell Maglite replacement bulbs but when I took a closer look they appeared to be just PR based LED's. They are also smaller in size compared to the Maglite LED replacement bulbs so I could not figure how these were supposed to be for the same light. :thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think I saw the same bulbs today at Target. The Nite-Ize bulbs say 2 C/D cell Maglite replacement bulbs but when I took a closer look they appeared to be just PR based LED's. They are also smaller in size compared to the Maglite LED replacement bulbs so I could not figure how these were supposed to be for the same light. :thinking:

The NiteIze will work anywhere from 2 to 6 cells. It is a PR base. The Mag module is a bit fatter than a standard PR base, and therefore will only work in some standard PR base sockets. The Mag module fits snuggly, where true PR base bulbs such as the NiteIze or incan bulbs will have a bit of wiggle room in a Mag. The NiteIze is works fine in other lights that take PR base. One of my favorite uses for this bulb is in a $3 Dorcy GelBrite, and a $4 Dorcy 4D lantern.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see, thanks.

The NiteIze will work anywhere from 2 to 6 cells. It is a PR base. The Mag module is a bit fatter than a standard PR base, and therefore will only work in some standard PR base sockets. The Mag module fits snuggly, where true PR base bulbs such as the NiteIze or incan bulbs will have a bit of wiggle room in a Mag. The NiteIze is works fine in other lights that take PR base. One of my favorite uses for this bulb is in a $3 Dorcy GelBrite, and a $4 Dorcy 4D lantern.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127