Surefire G2L and 6PL

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened
So I was surfing their website last night, and noticed they made a G2 and 6P with LED lights. Both running at 80 lumens for 10-11 hours, and both under 100 bucks...

How the hell are these so cheap compared to their others? What's allowing the high runtime with high lumens?

Last edited by a moderator:

cfromc

Enlightened
Re: Surefire's Newest?

To answer your question, these use the new style LEDs that are more efficient than the Luxeons. The LEDs are not being driven hard and therefore can deliver decent output with great runtimes. To push a Cree or Seoul hard would be 1000mA with an emitter output of over 170 lumens (some claim 200-240 lumens).

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened

Is there any way to replace the LED's in current lights, IE the ones I own, to increase times and output?

The thing I still dont get, is why are the G2 and 6P LED versions so cheap compared to say the L4?

cslinger

Enlightened

In order for Surefire to bring the L4/L2/L1 etc. to fruition it took lots of research, development, man hours, testing etc. all for relatively new technology.

The 6PL and G2L are established lights and the R&D to pop a LED emitter into a reflector assembly is likely a whole lot easier. Hence you have host bodies by the thousands and a relatively easy emitter build and therefore much lower costs to the consumer then the L4.

Chris

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 6P and G2 bodies are a lot simpler, easier and cheaper to machine than the other Surefire lights (G2 being Nitrolon requiring very little machining, if at all; 6P having no attachment for clips or those nifty little structures that other SF lights have). The 6P is type II anodized, not HAIII, which is another cost-reducing factor. Finally, they're the most sold, mass-produced lights SF makes, as far as bodies are concerned. The more you make, the cheaper you can sell them.

The L4 and other LED lights have a lot of nifty, expensive machining that has to be developed, optimized and performed to high-quality standards. Such as the reflector machined out of the same Al block that forms part of the housing; as far as I know, SF is the only manufacturer who machines reflectors that way. So you have a part that needs a reflective coating on the inside, HAIII on the outside. Don't know how SF solved the engineering problem that this entails... most other manufacturers solve it by making the reflector separate from the housing. But SF's approach sure is expensive, and makes a helluva nice product.

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened

So would you guys recommend the new Surefire LED's (6P and G2) over some of, say Fenix's?

Is it possible to get a Cree, or more efficient (yet same or more powerful) LED into my L2, U2 or M6 LED (Pelican)?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm relatively new at this...

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

So would you guys recommend the new Surefire LED's (6P and G2) over some of, say Fenix's?
Depends on what you want.

Personally, I had no trouble deciding to get the G2L. But I am still undecided whether or not to get one of the new Fenix Rebel lights with forward clicky, though the Fenix has two brightness settings, and costs half as much as the G2L... but that's just me. YMMV.

cslinger

Enlightened

Like the above said, depends on what you want. I own both Surefire's and Fenix lights. Fenix makes a darn good light, but they are not my bump in the night lights so to speak.

If all you are looking for is a versatile bright light with decent quality it is hard to beat the Fenix AA and CR123 Cree offerings.

If you plan on mounting said light to a firearm or need to use the light for more serious social issues then I lean towards Surefire.

Both Fenix and Surefire make very good lights for their customers. They just sort of have two different customers.

boosterboy

Enlightened

The G2L and 6PL pretty received a drop-in upgrade.

They aren't as well heatsinked as the L1 and L4, have Type 2 HA.

The L1 has two mode of output with specially designed tail cap.

I've owned the L1 Cree and the L4, and currently own the 6pL.

They are all worth their money.

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened

Surefires have a reputation for bomb-proofing their flashlights, my older E2L was dropped a good 10ft. on to hard concrete and it still works and it was hit on the bezel. It had a big dent but it's only cosmetic. Although I still think they should move faster on bring new lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The P60L LED Module used by the 6PL and G2L has a temperature sensor that reduces the output in order to prevent overheating. What this means is that momentary (brief) use will result in an output of 80 lumens.
Once the P60L has heated up through use its output will be reduced to about 65 lumens regulated for 3 hours in the G2, or about 75 lumens regulated for 2 hours in the 6P. The output will then decrease considerably for another 9 hours or so of usable light.
Although I have not seen this confirmed by output/runtime charts by users, this suggests that the 6PL's aluminium alloy is better able to remove heat (and therefore maintain a higher output) compared to the G2L's Nitrolon.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Those 11 hour runtimes are of usable light. It might be 5 hours full output and 6 hours dimming.

The lower price is due to not having to completely redesign a light. They changed the incandescent bulb to a Seoul P4 LED with a regulator and a heat detector.

If you think the surefire have good output to price, then you haven't seen some of the other cheap lights. A light I have outputs at least 120 lumen(If I spent $10 for a Cree Q5, this figure should go up to about 160-170 lumen) for an hour or 20+ lumen for 10 hours, all this in a $25 light(well, $35 including batteries and charger). But of course, the build quality(but it has been literally kicked around, thrown around and dropped and it still works fine), customer service and development time is not as good as Surefire's. The only thing it has compared to Surefire is price and output.

What kind of light you'll need all depends on what it will be used for and what kind of abuse it will see.

Surefire lights are basically bomb proof(except for their clickes, 24% failure rate according to this thread).

Fenix lights are good all arounders and they improve relatively quickly.

Cheaper lights all depend on the brand(Ultrafire, EastwardYJ, MTE are pretty reliable ones from what I have seen), model and luck of the draw, but they do change very quickly.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened

Those 11 hour runtimes are of usable light. It might be 5 hours full output and 6 hours dimming.

The lower price is due to not having to completely redesign a light. They changed the incandescent bulb to a Seoul P4 LED with a regulator and a heat detector.

If you think the surefire have good output to price, then you haven't seen some of the other cheap lights. A light I have outputs at least 120 lumen(If I spent $10 for a Cree Q5, this figure should go up to about 160-170 lumen) for an hour or 20+ lumen for 10 hours, all this in a $25 light(well, $35 including batteries and charger). But of course, the build quality(but it has been literally kicked around, thrown around and dropped and it still works fine), customer service and development time is not as good as Surefire's. The only thing it has compared to Surefire is price and output.

What kind of light you'll need all depends on what it will be used for and what kind of abuse it will see.

Surefire lights are basically bomb proof(except for their clickes, 24% failure rate according to this thread).

Fenix lights are good all arounders and they improve relatively quickly.

Cheaper lights all depend on the brand(Ultrafire, EastwardYJ, MTE are pretty reliable ones from what I have seen), model and luck of the draw, but they do change very quickly.

Welcome to CPF!

If you want to start out with a LED SureFire than i would say that the G2L/6PL are great choices. As said all of SureFire's lights are "bomb-proof" (Except for the clickies. I've even had one fail on me.) but as the G2/L and 6P/L use the Lockout TailCaps (LOTC's for short) it won't be a problem unless you decide further on to upgrade to a Z58/Z59 Clicky TailCap. SureFire's warranty comes in great when you do have those problems (or any problems for that matter)

Fenix's have a purpose. If your going to use it around the house, Light up things and need "pleasurable lumens" without spending hundreds and aren't looking for a bomb-proof light the fenix will work. But i still overall prefer SureFire's.

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened

Heh. Yea, I was just curious about it.

I currently own:
Inova X5 in Blue (wtf did I buy this? I never use it)
Surefire U2 Ultra
Surefire L2
Inova 24/7
Pelican M6 LED

Basically all I use my flashlights for are daily jobs, and when working security, for self defense

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

The P60L LED Module used by the 6PL and G2L has a temperature sensor that reduces the output in order to prevent overheating. What this means is that momentary (brief) use will result in an output of 80 lumens.
Once the P60L has heated up through use its output will be reduced to about 65 lumens regulated for 3 hours in the G2, or about 75 lumens regulated for 2 hours in the 6P. The output will then decrease considerably for another 9 hours or so of usable light.
Although I have not seen this confirmed by output/runtime charts by users, this suggests that the 6PL's aluminium alloy is better able to remove heat (and therefore maintain a higher output) compared to the G2L's Nitrolon.

When you say that the G2L will run lower than 65 lumen after 3 hours. Do you mean continuous use?

Lets say I have used my G2L for 4 hours. And then a week later, I use it again. Will it not come on at 80 lumen then? Or even 65 lumen?

greenLED

Flashaholic

When you say that the G2L will run lower than 65 lumen after 3 hours. Do you mean continuous use?

Lets say I have used my G2L for 4 hours. And then a week later, I use it again. Will it not come on at 80 lumen then? Or even 65 lumen?
Probably not. You'd be consuming most of the battery "juice" in your first round of use, not leaving much energy left for later use.

Size15's

Flashaholic

But if there is enough battery juice, and the temperature is not too high then the P60L will output at 80 lumens for as long as it can subject to an increase in temperature or a decrease in battery juice.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened

So for how long you think I can have the 80 lumen and 65 lumen output, if I use the light in 10-15 minutes cycles, with hours or days between the cycles?