MadMan HID vs. Vector Mega Sport 3 Million CP

S4MadMan

Enlightened
EDITED: Ted suggest I changed the title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also was going to p-chop "CPF Ranch" but I'm too busy today. Maybe next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just got back from meeting Ted The Led. What a great guy! His place in the Malibu Mountains is DARK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It will make any flashlight humble, and any spot light cringe; the darkness just eats up light. Anything short of a spotlight had a hard time producing any real light. The normally more than bright enough Mr. Bulk LGI, Elektrolumens Blaster II were no match for the Black Hole of Ted. Even the Lambda 5W LS MegaclopsSE had to bow down for it could not escape. The brightest incandescents such as the Streamlight Ultra Stinger and SL-20X, SureFire's 9N and 12PM were hard pressed too. Ted's place is truly dark.

Anyway, I went to Ted's Black Hole to test my MadMan HID spot light versus his Vector Mega Sport Spot, dual 100 watt halogen spot light rated at 3 million CP. Here are the comparison shots. Though the picture clearly shows the MadMan's brighter, in reality it was even brighter to the naked eye. I'm sure Ted will chime in on this:

mm-01.jpg

Next, here's a picture of the brightest flashlights barely able to illuminate Ted's Solar Panel at 100'. I think 100' is being generous. One note, to our eyes, the Lambda MegaClopsSE illuminated the target decently. However, the camera had a hard time capturing the emitted light. Weird...I believe there was a discussion somewhere about the cameras not being "LED friendly". If someone can direct me to that post or expand on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

target-01.JPG

The biggest surprise, and I think Ted will agree, was the Elektrolumens Blaster II. Lightmeters tell you one thing but seeing is believing. Both of us could not believe the throw on the Blaster II. Ted kept thinking it was a 5W LS. And when I told him it was a 1W LS he was very impressed as was I. The Blaster II had a longer throw and brighter spot than the Inretech Trilight which was very nice! I would have to say the Blaster II is my current favorite LED flashlight.

Here's Ted's collection of flashlights. The Man has a ton of Arcs. First one to name all the flashlights gets a free...just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I got to see a lot of nice flashlights...thanks Ted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tedstoys.jpg

Finally, the Man, the Myth, Mr. Ted The Led hiding behind his computer...errr...cat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for having me over Ted, it was a great time. Maybe next time the fog will go away and your Black Hole will eat up less light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tedtheled.jpg

P.S. I found out it's Ted The Led, pronounced "lead", not "L.E.D.". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ted The Led, Spotlight Comparison & Flashlights

The Cat's Eyes looks ghostly.... No moon for the night?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Ted The Led, Spotlight Comparison & Flashlights

Leon says: Meow.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
fc9f4b57.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ted The Led, Spotlight Comparison & Flashlight

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ted's black hole? Madman I thought we agreed we wouldn't talk about that in public. Now the whole world knows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif ! Yes it was dark, darker than Homer Simpson's deadly chocolate eclair!
Anywho, yup, the fog, or 'marine layer', definitely dispersed light before it could be seen reaching it's target..we'll have to try again on a clear night.
(added) The Vector spotlight was the Vector Mega Sport Spot "3,000,000" cp..
What amazes me in these pics is how the light seems to be coming into the picture at such a wide angle, almost coming in from the side when actually I was sitting right next to the camera holding the flashlight; an odd phenomenon.
We measured the amps going through the surprisingly bright Blaster II.
I do remember mistakenly telling Mm it was in the 'target' area of proper operation, but now realize the Luxeons are s'posed to operate at about 350 ma and the Blaster II was over 410 ma, and very well focused to produce an intense narrow column of light. I wouldn't say it was 'brighter' over all than the TriLight, but it did have an amazing throw, and made a brighter spot.
The Madman is a very bright light, but light comes out of it at all angles, including 180, which is good for immediate area lighting, but detracts from the brilliance and reach of it's (very bright) spot, one would think. Madman (the human) said he hoped he have the new 5 degree, or less, reflector ready in a week, or so? (MM?) and that should clean up all that 'spill' light.
It's exciting to see my picture in CPF! See my favorite power supply I use for charging batteries? a great thing, and of course the Metcal soldering iron in the background there..
.. Madman, was a pleasure to have as a guest in my black hole, and emitted quite a pleasant odor, as did his car.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(The cat's eyes look 'ghostly' because it was a flash picture!)

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Oooops...

...did I mess up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif I don't know what I was and wasn't supposed to reveal about your Black Hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Sorry.

And yes, correction, regarding the Blaster II vs. Trilight, the Blaster II had a longer throw and brighter spot, NOT overall lumens. I apologize for that...I updated my original post. Regardless, both lights were impressive for LEDs, especially in Ted's Black Hole! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Really? Both my Car and I smelled good? Gosh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

It was great to meet you Ted, we have to do this again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oooops...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif :giggle: why yes, :giggle giggle: I am... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif why do you ask,James? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oooops...

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I found out it's Ted The Led, pronounced "lead", not "L.E.D.".
Edited by S4MadMan (02/28/03 06:03 PM)

[/ QUOTE ]

..actually, what I told s4 was; it's lead as in; "you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Madman HID vs. Vector Mega Sport \'3 mil.\' cp.

[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
Anywhere we can find details about that MadMan HID spot light?

[/ QUOTE ]
!yes;

Link