3C - Streamlight, Koehler-Bright Star, Pelican, UK?

Wick

Newly Enlightened
I've got a question for you all concerning 3C cell flashlights. One of the above named lights will be my next purchase and I'm looking for opinions on them. They all share similar features. 3C cell, waterproof, good preformace in drop tests, belt clips, $30 range and so on.

I've personally dealt with Streamlight and UK before and was pleased with both. Although, I have never dealt with either of the 3C cell lights.

Koehler-Bright Star is new for me. I know a lot of firefighters use them and I saw somewhere a 50,000 candle power claim for the KB 3C Responder non-rechargable. Pelican and Streamlight only claim somewhere in the neighborhood of 12k-15k CP from their 3C cell lights. I know how unreliable CP ratings can be but does KB have something both Pelican, UK, and Streamlight do not? 35K more CP from a similar light seem to be a lot.

Pelican is also a new light to me, any thoughts?

The Streamlight and the Pelican are both availible locally for me. However, if the KB is that much better of a light maybe ordering would be worth the wait. Or maybe the UK300?

Which is your pick of the 4, or are there other similar lights you would choose over them? Thanks for any input.

snake

Enlightened
Hello ,
i only have a SL 4AA, so I think the beam pattern of SL 3C will be similar.. it like the shape of figure "8". May be the projection of the connector of filament. to solve it you need to pull the bulb a bit forward and adjust.

it is not a dive light, but it offer a quick push switch at the back.

let see if it will helpful to you.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Take a look at the beamshots of a Pelican Black Knight (C cell xenon) somewhere along this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001852
And it really was quite bright, especially to the naked eye, even against a 75,000 CP rechargeable xenon.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm... I think the one on the thread is a 4 C version instead of 3 C.

Alan

Wick

Newly Enlightened
A quick update. I bought a Streamlight 3C and I'm not sure what I think about it just yet. It has a VERY tight beam and an extremly bright hotspot. Very little peripheral light. Maybe 3 light rings but fairly dark between them. The light seems too focused and bright, not enough of a flood.

Of course, I'm keeping it anyways. Any ideas on other lights that might give more of a flood light...non rechargable, waterproof and so on...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wick:
A quick update. I bought a Streamlight 3C and I'm not sure what I think about it just yet. It has a VERY tight beam and an extremly bright hotspot. Very little peripheral light. Maybe 3 light rings but fairly dark between them. The light seems too focused and bright, not enough of a flood.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Wick's assessment of the Streamlight, and I also was disappoimnted with the excessively tight beam of the Pelican M10. In fact, I have given most of my Pelicans away.

(To paraphrase a famous Ogdon Nash verse:

"A very strange bird is the pelican
Its beak can hold more than its bellican"

Sorry, I just had to do that. Frankly, I can't think of any incandescent 3C light that I like with the exception of the admittedly old fashioned but ever reliable Maglite.

There are some excellent 3C LED lights that I use to great advantage. My favorite is the Trek 1400. But, getting back to incandescents:

If you're willing to go to four C's, the UKE SL-4 is a heck of a light. I prefer it to the Tec 400 because of its ergonomics, compactness, and exceptionally penetrating yet adequately peripheral beam. Of course it's waterproof. I EDC belt-carried one for a week in a Ripoff holster, and actually got used to it.

Brightnorm

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm...I may look into that UKE SL-4, also the UK300 Work Light. Looks similar to the SL 3C and Pelican, probably a similarly tight beam as well.

The good old Maglite is wonderful but a bit heavy for backpacking and the like. I love the beam from my Stinger but with rechargables it only gets me an hour of run time, not very useful in the wilderness.

I truly am impressed with the Streamlight 3C, the beam throws an amazing distance but just not enough peripheral light. If anyone is looking for a good light that is affordable, tough, and has great reach check this light out.

DonL

Enlightened
I have both the Super Sabrelite and its 2-C cousin, the Super Pelilite. The SP is a pretty tight beam, and for close up or area work, it doesn't have any specific advanteages to other lights.

I actually prefer the SP a bit more. It's smaller, lighter, uses less batteries, and, IMHO, makes up in runtime and a little better flood for what little it gives up in CP.

I can vouch, however, that either Pelican is a tough, durable light. They still shine bright after quite a bit of abuse, and after 5-6 years with both, I have yet to replace a bulb.

prn

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm posted (following Ogden Nash):

A very strange bird is the pelican
Its beak can hold more than its bellican
It can hold in its beak
Enough food for a week
But I don't know how the hellican.

How could you do that, Norm?!? Now I had to do it too.
tongue.gif

Paul

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by prn:
Brightnorm posted (following Ogden Nash):

A very strange bird is the pelican
Its beak can hold more than its bellican
It can hold in its beak
Enough food for a week
But I don't know how the hellican.

How could you do that, Norm?!? Now I had to do it too.
tongue.gif

Paul
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

I never could remember the rest of it. Thanks

Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wick,
I like my SL 3C, but like others here, I feel the beam is overly tight. I just got a SL 4 that I'm very happy with. It has the brightness & long throw of the SL 3C, but the center spot is probably 5 times larger. TX

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Tex,

Thanks....that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I bought the light at a local LL Bean and they have a money back gaurentee. I might go trade it back to them for the SL4. I'll let you know how I like it.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the SL 3C had the output of the SL-4. I like the size, the grip, & the clip on the SL 3C, just not the output. If they have the Tec400, you might consider that. It has the advantage of a PR base bulb, which gives you a lot more options of lamps & battery combos.
TX