Fenix P2D RB100 Problem

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I have a problem with my Fenix P2D RB100. When I use a SureFire 3 volt the light works fine. When I use a 3V Protected 1000 mAH it works fine. When I use a AW 3.7 Volt Protected it gets stuck on turbo mode. My lower levels do not work. Is there a problem with the light or does it not like the AW's? I tried two AW's to make sure it was not the cell.
Hope someone might have some input.

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
I believe that's standard behavior with over-voltage on most of the Fenix lights (except for the L0D and maybe one or two others). With the over-voltage you're running in direct drive and the lower levels won't work initially. After the battery voltage drops a bit, then the lower levels will work again.

mchlwise

Enlightened
+1 on Glowworm's response.

The operating voltage of the P2D head (which is the same head as the L1D and L2D) is only 3.0 volt max. It will run on higher voltage, probably up to 5v or so without damage, but it wasn't designed to run above 3.0 volts, and as Glowworm said - you lose the lower levels until the battery gets back down within spec.

(Incidentally, this is the same reason you can't run a L1D on a 3.7v 14500 cell)

:(

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It goes into direct drive bypassing all the control circuitry so you only have "turbo" which is really just DD.