Just got back from shopping in Michigan...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my wife and I did a day trip to the great state of Michigan and naturally I went to stores that carry lights not available in Canada. Even though I don't need them, I naturally came home with some impulse buys. I bought a Nite-ize 1 Watt minimag drop in with IQ switch and a River Rock 1 Watt Luxeon 1 AA at Target, a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme headlight at Walmart and a 1 Watt PR based LED bulb from Sears.

After playing with them tonight I found their individual performances to be more than adequate.
The RiverRock will end up being a loaner when I'm camping or outdoors in a group (If someone asks to borrow a light I don't have to hand over my HDS, Novatac or PD).
The Rayovac headlight with the diffuser has a nice flood for hands free arms length use (I may use the Red LED's but probably won't use the Blue LED).
I modified the Nite-Ize by putting it in my minimag without the reflector using an O-ring to keep the lens in place. The result being a poor man's McGizmo Mule. Nice even flood beam for up close work.
The PR based LED is making one of my cheap plastic 2 cell flashlights useful again.

All in all I happy with my purchases even though I did not need them. As a flashahlolic I could not in good conscience leave Target, Sears and Walmart without buying some of the lights I have read about here. It's nice to play with new toys. Just filling the void until the new ARC and HDS's are released I suppose.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sound like you had an enjoyable time just messing around with some cheap stuff...kinda fun sometimes isn't it. I like the mod that you call the poorman's Mule. I'll bet it's nice and floody. :)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sound like you had an enjoyable time just messing around with some cheap stuff...kinda fun sometimes isn't it. I like the mod that you call the poorman's Mule. I'll bet it's nice and floody. :)

Yeah, I agree that it is fun sometimes :grin2:. The poor man's mule is surprisingly effective. Very even beam and very useful. I can only imagine what a real mule is like.