Dorcy Metal Gear luxeon light for $4 at Walmart

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I was at the local walmart this morning (in Knoxville TN) and I picked up a Dorcy Metal Gear luxeon light, including batteries, for $4. They had 2 boxes worth in the clearance section.

Anyway, if you subtract the cost of the included batteries I figure the light costs you about a buck. Pretty good deal.

--Matt

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up the $10.90 4-D Mag the other day.....figure I'll mod it someday.
I have the Dorcy Metal gear and liked it!
It was my first non-3-5mm led (1W high powered) flashlight.
I paid $20.00 for mine, but for $4.00 I just might have to ride my bike to the next town over to get a few....I'll call first!

willrx

Enlightened
I was at the local walmart this morning (in Knoxville TN) and I picked up a Dorcy Metal Gear luxeon light, including batteries, for $4. They had 2 boxes worth in the clearance section.

Anyway, if you subtract the cost of the included batteries I figure the light costs you about a buck. Pretty good deal.

--Matt

I bought several of these at $4.00 and have to say it is the best general purpose light (for the price) I have found. Long runtime (~4hrs to 50%), white light, clip, even made of metal. :thumbsup:

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
I snagged a Dorcy Metal Gear @ 3 weeks ago when they were $7.00. Blows the doors off my minimag with the terralux tle-5 1 watt luxeon for which I paid 4 times as much :sigh:.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Saturday, our ****'s Sporting Goods had 2 and 3 cell Magled bulbs at $9.99. They're clearing them out. There's a cheap mod!

Any idea whether the 3 cell one would work with a Princeton Tec Tec40 ( 4 cell, plastic light) I use 3 cell incandescent bulbs in it, but I'm concerned about overdriving the led, along with the lack of a heatsink.

--Matt

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Any idea whether the 3 cell one would work with a Princeton Tec Tec40 ( 4 cell, plastic light) I use 3 cell incandescent bulbs in it, but I'm concerned about overdriving the led, along with the lack of a heatsink.

--Matt

The MagLed is fatter than a PR bulb. It does not fit in any non-mag flashlight I've tried. On a few of my cheap flashlights, the bulb holder is a soft plastic cup with brass inserts. I've been able to split the cup, bend the brass, and sort-of make it work.

I wouldn't worry about heat - the Magled incorporates a thermal throttle. I've run 3 and 4 cell versions in a 5D with no problem. The light output just drops sooner.