need new cheap LED

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I just started a new job last week and i am using my light alot. I am using a SF C2 with a seoul drop-in and it works great but the output is very high and gets warm quick. I would like to get a cheap cree light from DX so i don't have to carry my surefire but i don't know what one to get. I would like something with 80-100lm of output that can run on 1x18650 or 2xrcr123. these are the two i was looking at http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3371
a tight spot with good spill and decent runtimes are what i am looking for. I would also like if it would not get hot so fast, open to suggestions:thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend the U2-style 3watt Cree (review)and form my experiences it is a very good light for the price. 120+ lumen out the front on high(1.5 hour) and a reasonable low(not very low but very good all all arounder, at least 6 hours). It might have been change for the worst though(someone confirm). Modify it with a Q5 and you should get about 160 lumen on high. All you'll need to do is unsolder the star and solder a new Q5 star into it. The only problem is that the star doesn't have any heat paste/epoxy so heat might be a problem. It's a relatively simple fix.
This one should be about the same brightness.

About how long do you need the runtime to be?

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
with no modding of the light how is the heat build-up, the longest i need to run it is about 20-30min. If i get the U2 clone and put a Q5 in will there be more heat or less because of thermal compound and a better emiter?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The light does not come with heat compound under the star and you'll need to add that yourself. It's pretty simple:
Hmmm... after using it a couple of days mine now shuts of after about 2 minutes on high :rant:The problem doesn't seem to appear on low.

I'll re-apply some thermal compound between the star and the heatsink to see if that solves the problem. I took it apart and took some pics of the inside, don't remember seeing pics of this yet.

U2pil1.JPG

Note the thick rubber o-ring
U2pil2.JPG

U2pil3.JPG

About the head and body, I do think the head is screwed on. Right in front of the silver colored threading there's also threading in the black annodised part. Not sure though as I can't get it loose.

U2body.JPG

Unscrew the star from, the board and apply some heat sinking compound.

With the Q5, there should be less heat due to the LED being more efficient(not a whole lot less though) and heat transfer should be greatly improved due to the thermal compound.

Remember that this flashlight uses a reverse two stage clickie(light only come son after letting go after the "click" and it will always cycle through the high-low-off) so I would not recommend it in a stressful situation.

This light should have more throw then the EastwardJY(It is also easy to modify with a Q5).

jbosman1013

Enlightened
everything is looking good so far but my final concern is still the heat. the light i am using now gets hot like my SF L2 maybe even hotter and thats not good when your in a hot attic or crawl space. even if the U2 gets hot but not to where you don't want to hold it thats fine.

will the ultrafire protected 18650 fit in this light

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The U2-Style has an internal diameter of about 19 mm so pretty much any 18650 battery will fit. it should be much cooler then the L2(and also throw further due to a more concentrated hot spot) with heat compound it gets warm at around 10 minutes, not hot like the L2/L4(some have reported that the L4 will be to hot to hold at 15 minutes, the U2 style should still be comfortable to hold at half an hour constant on).

I would not trust my life on the U2-style but the one I have is built well and hasn't had a single problem with being thrown around or kicked down hills or roads.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
thanks Gunner you have been a big help. I am going to order it this weekend along with a Q5 and some batteries. I heard of this light when I first joined the fourm, now i get to see for myself why this light is so liked.