LED Spotlight suggestions

Beer

Enlightened
I got this light at Wal-Mart $5.00 on clearance

http://www.garritylites.com/page92.html

Garrity 1w Luxeon Spotlight.

So the first thing I do of course is take it apart.

The star is loose held in place with a small plate. Three screws abd the star is swinging free on two wires.

I've never done an LED mod before but I'm thinking this light is a good easy place to start.

So, what to replace the star with?

Cree? Soeul? Rebel?

What is the highest bin / brighest of each of these?

Heatsink? No Heatsink?

Thanks!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the new royovac 4watt 3-C cells Cree light. I got one for $25.00 and it throws better than any other LED light I have.....I'm a little upset considering the lights I own.
The head twists like a mag to adjust the focus and it uses an optic, man does that cree throw!!!
Check out some of the threads and reviews on this thing, you may save a lot of time and money if you are looking for an LED that throws like crazy!
Best $25.00 i've spent on a light-Hands Down!

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I agree i got that light last weekend and its very bright and it would not be hard to mod in a Q5. the runtimes are a big + also

Beer

Enlightened
Well Im planning on getting the ROV 4W anyway...

But I really like the garrity, and I do want to mod it with a simple star and maybe heatsink.

So what should I put in there?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had great success with the Seoul P4 LEDs.
I would definetly use something as a heatsink.
Maybe you can find a converter board/driver that has multipe levels(high/med/low)?

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Hello,I also bought this for 7.00.I put a seoul -u in there for another 7.00 for 14.00 I am very happy(for now)I still have to play with the distance of led from reflector because out at 50 yards I get kind of a donut.I did not put heatsink in because I figured it had a 1watt lux in there before so it should not be driving it too hard(someone please tell me if I am wrong)I recomend you buy a seoul and change it out IT WAS FUN:party:and very easy

Beer

Enlightened
So I remeber reading that crees have a narrow light projection cone so they are not good for big reflectors.

Is that a fair assumption?

Soooooo...would I be better off with a soeul? If so what is the highest bin? U? T?

:shrug:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I remeber reading that crees have a narrow light projection cone so they are not good for big reflectors.

Soooooo...would I be better off with a soeul? If so what is the highest bin? U? T?

from the pics, the UF C2 im waiting on has a large reflector and its a cree, reportedly to have a very very powerful beam. Time will tell

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

U-bin is brighter. The SSC will put out less heat than the Lux, so you probably don't need any extra heatsinking if all you're doing is an emitter swap.

Illum

Flashaholic
U-bin is brighter. The SSC will put out less heat than the Lux, so you probably don't need any extra heatsinking if all you're doing is an emitter swap.

I'm planning to mod mine using SSC Tbin but im seriously considering modding a heatsink in for good measure....the tin metal plate crap is just plain ridiculous