Is it possible to make a rechargable battery for a surefire?

ake

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a surefire, but the 123 seems to be a big problem to me. I will move to Thailand where 123 will be extreamly expensive. Also I don't feel like wasting battery every time I use or play with it.

Is it possible to make a compatible rechargable battery for a surefire? I look at thier site, but not sure what batt. size they put together. I would think that 123 diameter is about the same as "A" size, but still couldn't figure out how to compensate the total length and total voltage ("A" has only 1.2 v compared to 3 volts of 123.)

Any thought on this would be really appreciated.

Ake

PS The only alternative I can think of is putting a P61 or P91 in a double barrel body. Any harm on the body on a long run?
Also are there any better choce of housing (ie. 4D and 5D Maglite)?

yclo

Flashaholic*
Believe it or not, but you can get rechargable Surefires!

Details will have to be filled in by Al or some other more respectable members who know their stuff.

YC

Size15's

Flashaholic
Am I not respectable?
Where did I do wrong?
(possibile Cafe topic perhaps?)

Anyways,

Rechargeable Kits are available for SureFires - Using the same P60 or P61 lamps as two cell models.

There are a number of routes (Here are three examples) -
1)Get a rechargeable version to start with.
2)Get a two cell & Kit (KR1 for G2, or KR2 for 6P, C2*, D2, M2* or Z2*)
3)Get a three cell (9P, C2*, D3 or Z3*) & P60/P61 Lamps & KR2 & required Body Adapter**

*The CombatGrip can not be used with the A14 Body Adapter.
**Shock-Horror! Alastair doesn't know the part off the top of his head...

I hope this helps.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you may mean the A20 Al ......

And don't forget the Z29, which allows the use of a rechargeable set-up using two 123's, without removing any adaptor.

Of course, I could have got this all wrong ......

lightlover

Ps - Al, seriously, you'd better confirm those numbers when you get access to your info.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Geez, some people are so sensitive..
rolleyes.gif

What I *meant* by saying that was "more respectable" than me, and you were one of them who I can remember the name of, hence I listed your name there.

Maybe it's the bad wording...

Anyway, you're the most respectable person I know of in terms of Surefire knowledge. (Maybe after PK since he creates the knowledge)

YC

P.S. Btw, has anyone retrofited a tail lanyard for the E2?

ake

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to ask one thing. Can I use that rechargable batt. with an E2? Also are their any option that I can use a brighter bulb than a stock one?

Their battery pack is OK. What I am looking for is if there are any alternative rather than using a stock battery? Particularly for an NiMh pack as I can benefit from a longer runtime. I still never seen anything in NiMh that is that wide and that short anyway.

I very interested in getting a 6P with P61 head. I am looking for something that has a longer runtime than a stock batt.

What is a spect for P61? I mean how much current it sucks it?

ake

ToddM

Enlightened
I believe there has been a thread or two on rechargeable 3 volt 123 size cells, however if I remember right the runtime was no where near the lithium batteries (like 15 minutes with the stock bulb). For reference I believe the 123 lithium batteris is sized as a 2/3 A cell.

They do make a rechargeable conversion kit for the 6p sized lights. It comes with a body extender so you lengthen the light by (I'm guessing here) 2". Surefire's site doesn't list the runtime with the conversion kits but I seem to remember it being 50 minutes. So you actually loose a little runtime.

There is no rechargeable kit from surefire to make the E2 rechargeable and for now the highest power bulb for the E2 is the one that comes with it.

As for current on the P61 bulb doing some light math from brock's sight and adding oh 20% for the high current drain and gremlin factor. You'd need about 2.8-3.0 amp/hrs of battery (or 2800mah) to run a p61 for a hour.

About the smallest package your going to get that kind of light with a hour of runtime and being rechargeable is the 8NX/AN light. It's larger but takes sub C sized nicad/nimh cells. Runs stock on the 1.8amp/hr nicads for 50 minutes at 110 lumens. It would be possible to build a 3000mah nimh pack that would run the light for ~75-80 minutes. On the plus side it's no more $ than buying a 6p and a recharging kit, and a p61 bulb, probably cheaper, but you loose the ability to run it on lithiums.

I don't think the 8NX would be that much larger than a 6P with the extened body tube for the recharging kit. I'm just guessing but if you only get 50 minutes with the recharging kit with the 60 lumen stock bulb you'll probably only get 15 minutes with the p61 bulb

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
A lot depends on how much light you need.

You can fit 2 2/3A NiMH cells in an E2 and use an E1 bulb. Probably put out 12 Lumen. This would be my first choice if it is bright enough.

You could also fit 4 1/3A NiCads in an E2 with the origional bulb but your run time would be very poor and the bulb will be quite under driven.