Just got back from Canada...

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, let me tell you it was COLD!!! End of August and I can't leave the house without a sweater, at least.

[/rant]

Went to a Mountain Equipment Co-Op store (similar to REI in the States) to buy a flashlight for grandma and was pretty stunned at the HIGH prices those Canadians pay for Maglites! 2D-3D Maglites are easily found at home for $18, but they run at least $35 in Canada, and with the Canadian dollar closing in on the U.S. dollar you can't really explain the price diff on exchange rate alone.

I suppose it's due to GST, aka Gouge and Screw, er, Goods and Services Tax?

Instead of the $35 Maglite, grandma got a Surefire G2 with a lifetime supply of CR123s out of my personal stash because I didn't want to pay that kinda hay for a Maglite. (She was using some Eveready plastic light from a dollar store.)

I did buy a pen flare gun for my dad's 55th though, heh. It was only $18 plus another $16 for six flares. Never saw anything like it at REI.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to Canada! ;) Things are all overpriced like this... Eneloop, 30$CAD for a 4 pack at The Source by Circuit City. Mag-LED 2D is over 45$. Etc. Etc. Etc. Importing things directly from USA, even if I have to pay for shipping + customs is often cheaper!

And about the COLD!! You're just a wimp! ;)

First off, let me tell you it was COLD!!! End of August and I can't leave the house without a sweater, at least.

[/rant]

Went to a Mountain Equipment Co-Op store (similar to REI in the States) to buy a flashlight for grandma and was pretty stunned at the HIGH prices those Canadians pay for Maglites! 2D-3D Maglites are easily found at home for $18, but they run at least $35 in Canada, and with the Canadian dollar closing in on the U.S. dollar you can't really explain the price diff on exchange rate alone.

I suppose it's due to GST, aka Gouge and Screw, er, Goods and Services Tax?

Instead of the $35 Maglite, grandma got a Surefire G2 with a lifetime supply of CR123s out of my personal stash because I didn't want to pay that kinda hay for a Maglite. (She was using some Eveready plastic light from a dollar store.)

I did buy a pen flare gun for my dad's 55th though, heh. It was only $18 plus another $16 for six flares. Never saw anything like it at REI.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL you guy's in the US have it good when it comes to Mags. It's cheaper for us to order them online, which is pretty sad. I hope you had a good time while you were up here.

WNG

Enlightened
Funny, I was food shopping in a Maxi supermarket in Montreal, during one of my visits.
They had a table of close-out items, among them were 3D and 4D Mags in various colors. All were going for $9.94 Canadian Dollars.
This was a good price for Canada, compared to the $37 normally. But no one seemed interested, a pile of them sat there.

I grabbed 2 3D Mags for CREE and SSC P4 modding. My girlfriend looked at me and said, "Don't you have enough flashlights??"
:D

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I was food shopping in a Maxi supermarket in Montreal, during one of my visits.
They had a table of close-out items, among them were 3D and 4D Mags in various colors. All were going for $9.94 Canadian Dollars.
This was a good price for Canada, compared to the $37 normally. But no one seemed interested, a pile of them sat there.

I grabbed 2 3D Mags for CREE and SSC P4 modding. My girlfriend looked at me and said, "Don't you have enough flashlights??"
:D

Good find! I once found cheap Maglite 2D-3D in a Maxi in Roberval (Lac-St-Jean). I think they were the price you said! But I wasn't and I'm still not interested in those anymore. ;)