Is it possible to do this mod on a Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm a hair away from buying a Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80. Looks and sounds from everyone's description like a great light. But I'd like to mod it just a little.

It comes with two tailcaps, a momentary "tac" switch and a regular high/low clicky, correct?

Will it be possible for me to buy a cable switch (aka remote switch and other names) like the one pictured below and snip off the tailcap it comes with and attach the cable to the momentary switch tailcap that comes with the light?

switch2.jpg

Instinct tells me it would be better to use the momentary switch for the cable mod plus I'd like to keep and use the regular high/low clicky.

Do you guys think this is "doable" and if so, what would I need for the job and how would I go about doing it?

If I didn't ask the question clearly enough, I apologize.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
I don't believe there is currently a remote switch for the Fenix line. Also, the high/low is switched by twisting the head of the light. The tailcaps have nothing to do with switching from high to low or low to high.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
It might be best to give David at Fenix-Store.com a call and see what he thinks.

bondr006,

You are the main reason I want to pick one of these up. I spoke to someone named Gary (I think) at the store yesterday. He said Fenix doesn't make a cable switch for it and there are no plans to do so as far as he knows.

Which, I guess, brings us back to is the mod I outlined in the first post possible?

Thanks,

Mike

blademan

Enlightened
You would probably have to look and see if the guts of the cable-switch will fit into the Fenix tailswitch. Fenix tailswitches are female and the picture you showed is male, so it wouldn't work unless you switched the guts. These are big ifs without switch in hand though.

mick53

Newly Enlightened
You would probably have to look and see if the guts of the cable-switch will fit into the Fenix tailswitch. Fenix tailswitches are female and the picture you showed is male, so it wouldn't work unless you switched the guts. These are big ifs without switch in hand though.

Uh,oh blademan,

This sounds like it could be complicated. You say Fenix tailswitches are female and the pic I showed you was male.

The obvious jokes aside, shouldn't that be the set-up I use, male into female?

I would hate to buy the light, then shell out the dough for a cable switch and find out I bought the wrong cable switch.

The plan was to replace a light I have mounted on an air rifle. The L2T v2.0 RB80 just seems better suited to the task than what I have now. But what I have now works like a champ.

100_3580.jpg

100_3586.jpg

Maybe I'll just get the light because it sounds like a great light and not use it as as barrel light after all.

Mike

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think with a little effort you could wire your extension switch into any fenix tailswitch by removing the rubber cap and hacking away. Worst case you destroy the old conventional tailswitch. :oops:

The tactical is a keeper.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that "momentary" is a forward CLICKIE, when I got the infos right
... so, for the "T" model, its a keeper.

Mod the normal tailcap: get out the switch, punch a hole into the rubber cap and build some "dummy" that offers a spring contact in the middle for the negative of the batts and another contact to the flashlight body.
cut off the actual connector and solder the wires to the dummy