now that rebel is out...

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i'm looking for a new light.
one of my two favorite lights is my 2aa fenix cree
(l2dce or something like that)

will i like the new rebel 175 lumen even more?
how is the runtime?
on the same amount of power, does the new rebel put out more light or is fenix just putting more power to it.
i don't want to sacrifice runtime for power.
is the cree still the way to go for balance?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
smoother beam, better color redition, more light output and more efficiency.

I HATE ALL OF THOSE THINGS.

j/k. soo are there any other lights out there that have the rebel.
i don't think it's a big enough deal to replace my fenix cree, until the next led upgrade.
but i would buy a different light that had the rebel.
any recomendations?

Patriot

Flashaholic
None that I can personally vouch for. DX is selling Rebel lights, some for around $24 bucks I believe. It's just not my thing. I prefer the step or two up in quality that Fenix provides. The Fenix LOD Rebel will be available from US dealers in about a week or so. It should be very nice. Maybe another quality manufacturer will be using the Rebel soon. Also keep you eyes open for a reputable CPFer installing Rebel mods on quality lights like Surefire, HDS, Mcgizmo and others.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L2D RB100 that arrived Thursday. Inside is a note warning you not to run it longer than 10 minutes in "turbo" mode. The L2D CE does not contain that warning so that made me shuffle my lights a bit.

Changed the L1D CE single AA body to the L2D RB100 head so overheating on "turbo" won't be a problem. (It is used as a bicycle helmet light on "turbo) The L1D CE Cree head is now on the 2AA body running in "turbo" mode without any problems. It is used as a frame mounted bicycle light and the throw is impressive.

My vote is for the Rebel L1D or L0P series if used for beam quality. The Cree equipped (Q2 or higher) smooth reflector L2D CE series if used outdoors or maximum throw is needed. Now if 4Sevens could get some R bin Cree L1P CEs... sign me up!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there will be no difference at all, because the led, may it be Rebel or Cree, sees the same current in the L2D model.
At least noone can "see" the difference!
Now give that stronger led a tint You dont like and the light wont be appreciated.

in short: whatever one likes,
who has not been into leds and modding till now, has no prob with luxeon and should get the rebel (at least till the Cree Q5 is standard or an even better comes out)
BUT
get a model with orange peel reflector!!!

I have a L2D RB100 that arrived Thursday. Inside is a note warning you not to run it longer than 10 minutes in "turbo" mode. The L2D CE does not contain that warning so that made me shuffle my lights a bit.
lets see that as bullshit.
Its just something for the producer to save them from ridiculus claims at Your place (f.e. someone switching the light on, putting it into confinded space and later grabbing it and burning himself, or something similar).
Also the rebel is said to withstand onla lower temp than Cree/SSCs --> with the current of the "L" models no problem, when holding in hand (or mounted on the bars of a bike) even a "P" cant reach such a temperature,
AND
the new "L" model (that with tactical clickie and high/low like the old "L2T") does not state this message, while the turbo mode there is completely the same
... crazy, or not?

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see it this way

The Rebel is very small so the die is smaller than the Cree. This would make a smaller junction to transfer the heat to the head and increasing the heat to the LED. The Rebel is not made to be Luxeons "power" LED, that is what the K2 does.

BS or not, I picked up the RB100 to be used with the single AA body and it works very well in that configuration. My "old" Cree P3 head has no problem running two NiMH AA cells so it is configured to do that. The Cree head will be replaced when some R bins make it into the Fenix lineup (next quarter) The R bin version I hope to get with a smooth reflector for throw.

Really looking forward to the "Rebel K2" so I can mod a few Luxeon based flashlights. That should be the modding monster people have been waiting for.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Actually jarhead (Newbie) wrote this about the size of the rebel die, "Some folks have claimed the Rebel die is smaller than the Luxeon and also smaller than the CREE die. It is not. It measures 1.00mm with a set of Multitoyo calipers, which is the same size as the rest of the recent die on the market". His workup on the Rebel is here, http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/rebel.htm

Bill

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nicest thing to me about the one Rebel light I own now (Fenix P3D) is the warm tint. I liked it so much I just ordered a LP M1 with the Rebel. Most of my cree lights (pelican 7060 also has a warm white beam) have a little bit of a purple tint. Not a big deal, but not as pleasing to my eyes as a warm white one. From what I here though, the Cree Q5 bin leds have a very nice tint as well.