What good cell 18650 flashlights do you guys recommend ($25 Max)

pvalopes

Newly Enlightened
i was looking on dealextreme and kaidomain for a good flashlight but there are a lot of options, i dont know what i choose

thanks in advance

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get 2 good 18650-cells (member "AW") for $25 but no good light which utilizes these cells for $25.:whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
i was looking on dealextreme and kaidomain for a good flashlight but there are a lot of options, i dont know what i choose

thanks in advance

If you up it to $35 you can get the VB-16 with free fast(er) shipping upgrade. These have been backordered for some time and finally came back into stock. I ordered one about 5 minutes ago. :D

I have read a bunch of positive reviews on it..

lexina

Enlightened
If you have decided on an led light, there are some good suggestions by others here. If you want to keep your options open, then I would recommend a light that uses a D26-size drop-in module such as the TR-C2 or the WF-502B. That way, you can easily get an incandescent drop-in which can be powered by the same 18650 or by 2 CR123s/RCR123s. It's like having 2 lights in one! The TR-C2 costs a bit more than the 502B but it has a useful 5-modes of operation.

Last edited:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
If you have decided on an led light, there are some good suggestions by others here. If you want to keep your options open, then I would recommend a light that uses a D26-size drop-in module such as the TR-C2 or the WF-502B. That way, you can easily get an incandescent drop-in which can be powered by the same 18650 or by 2 CR123s/RCR123s. It's like having 2 lights in one! The TR-C2 costs a bit more than the 502B but it has a useful 5-modes of operation.

I have the WF-502B. The CREE version is ~$17, the Xenon $13. Buy the CREE, and 2 of the 3.7v Xenon assemblies - $22 or so, and you have a LED and an incan light with glass window, aluminum reflector, rugged body, tailclip. The finish does wear if you carry it every day though. If you want the light to stay pretty, spend a lot more for a Surefire :grin2:.

pvalopes

Newly Enlightened
So you want bright, that usually also comes with the requirement of throw so I'd say get the WF-600 3W Cree Q2. It looks to be the same light as the 3W Cree projection except with a more efficient LED. These lights will have a few artifacts in the beam due to the smooth reflector. If you want less artifacts, maybe the WF-400 Cree Q2.
this wf-400 seems perfect to me, but if anyone have more sugestions, just post then i will choose the best

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
this wf-400 seems perfect to me, but if anyone have more sugestions, just post then i will choose the best
Personally, I'd probably stick with the Cree Projection, since it can take a much wider range of batteries (including primaries). You never know when you might want that flexibility.

And there's not likely much difference between the P4 and Q2 versions - I have the P4 Cree Projection, and it performs pretty close the Q2 Tiablo A8 and 2nd gen Luma MRV:
DX Cree Projection vs Lumapower MRV vs Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

pvalopes

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I'd probably stick with the Cree Projection, since it can take a much wider range of batteries (including primaries). You never know when you might want that flexibility.

And there's not likely much difference between the P4 and Q2 versions - I have the P4 Cree Projection, and it performs pretty close the Q2 Tiablo A8 and 2nd gen Luma MRV:
DX Cree Projection vs Lumapower MRV vs Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!
about the batteries i think that both are same, supports cr123 and 18650
and wf-400 have "Glass lens and texture aluminum reflector"

big beam

Enlightened

I agree with this drop-in stuf.One more point is if they come out with better LEDS or drivers(and they always do) you just drop-in the new one.
DON

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy

Flashaholic
this one looks impressive, if it's got real hard anodizing...
ability to use 1x 18650 is a real advantage. needs two stage ability
don't like reverse clickies... totally amazed at how quickly chinese light have ramped up. but they missed the boat on reverse clickies. zero advantage using reverse clickie, only negatives. totally surprise Chinese mfg have not picked this up.

lexina

Enlightened
don't like reverse clickies... totally amazed at how quickly chinese light have ramped up. but they missed the boat on reverse clickies. zero advantage using reverse clickie, only negatives. totally surprise Chinese mfg have not picked this up.

I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all; twisties, forward clickies, reverse clickies - each have their strengths and weaknesses. Forward clickies are great for incans or single-mode led lights because you can get a momentary on by just pressing lightly on the switch. On the other hand, reverse clickies are very suited for the multi-mode led modules that are commonly found in the China-made lights. Using a reverse clicky, you just need to press and release lightly to move from one mode to another. With forward clickies, you would have to fully depress the switch and then switch back on to move to the next mode.

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
Another day, another option! DX just launched yet another 18650 light. It seems to fit in between the WF400 and the WF600 in terms of the size of the light and the reflector:-

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1881

It's a P4 instead of a Q2 (but I frankly haven't seen any big difference between these 2 leds) and uses an OP reflector.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire WF-500. But I'd rather spend slightly more money to get a much higher quality light such as a Wolf-Eyes Raider or Rattlesnake.