2 F-14's just flew by LOW

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what they were doing flying so low, and dang they were LOUD, they were movin too, happend about 20 min ago.!! I am on the north fork of Long Island NY

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Were they going supersonic? It's weird enough that they were flying low (presumably to avoid radar). If they were supersonic as well then something's up.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Better question - what were 2 F-14s doing in the Air? The Navy has retired them, and AFAIK, there are NO flying F-14s left (except for Iran's)

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
no they were not going supersonic. I'll have ask a friend who works at the West Hampton air base

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
After 21 years in the USAF, I NEVER got tired of watching our fly boys...NEVER!!

AWESOME RUSH OF POWER GETS THE ADRENALINE PUMPING!!

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hahaha one time I was playing airsoft with my bro and his friends and we were just joking around and one of them said WE NEED AIR SUPPORT! and about 6 minutes later 3 a10's in formation flew by.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
I was buzzed by a couple F-117s a few years ago; "louder than God" was my unforgettable impression at the time..

F-117 Stealth Fighter does fly by at military air show:
Yes their sound is terrible. I heard them as they flow over the village to former Yugoslavia for night attack. On sunny days I can see here the trainings of A-10 and F-16. I live not far away from Spangdahlem AB Germany.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Better question - what were 2 F-14s doing in the Air? The Navy has retired them, and AFAIK, there are NO flying F-14s left (except for Iran's)

They were probably F15's, which look somewhat similar to someone not familiar with both. Also, almost all F-14's that Iran has have been grounded for over a decade. Something about us not selling them spare parts... :sssh: :whistle:

Last edited:

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
When I was a volunteer with the Forest Service in PA (Allegheny National Forest) there were 2 military jets that flew over very low. I only saw their shadows on the ground. By the time I looked up they were gone.

It was at a recreation area in a valley with a small beach an lots of screaming kids. As soon as the shadows appeared it was instantly silent, and then 2 explosions in rapid succession. Everybody looked up, but the jets were already out of sight beyond the next peak.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
They were probably F15's, which look somewhat similar to someone not familiar with both. Also, almost all F-14's that Iran has have been grounded for over a decade. Something about us not selling them spare parts... :sssh: :whistle:

Yeah - the spare parts issue is a problem, eh? I still think they had the best LOOKING F-14s. I also likes some of the experimental splinter cammo F-14s. Of course there was the days of the the old "Hi-Vis" markings - white unsersides and control surfaces, and bright markings, particularly on the CAG Bird (the Double nuts)

Sigh

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what they were doing flying so low, and dang they were LOUD, they were movin too, happend about 20 min ago.!! I am on the north fork of Long Island NY

Isn't that where Grumman was located? They probably got lost in a time warp and are now returning home.

A few years ago I was at an airshow that had dozens of world war 2 aircraft. They had a few modern ones do fly-bys. They had a Grumman hellcat there, I think it was built after WW2 and I think the announcer said it was the highest performance propeller aircraft ever built. Anyway the hellcat and the tomcat pulled a stunt that had the entire audience gasping. Darnedest thing I ever saw at an airshow. I'll miss the tomcat, aka f14.

Marduke

Flashaholic
After watching some college football today, I remembered that most decent sized universities who had their first game today often have the National Guard do a flyover as the game starts with usually 2 F16's or 2 F15's. They have been doing practice runs over the stadiums since Thursday all over the country.

BTW, the last F-14 in the US flew on October 4th, 2006.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The Hellcat was a WW2 carrier fighter, nice plane but nothing special.

IIRC the Hellcat was the best carrier based fighter of WW2 and was generally considered the equal of any WW2 fighter, with the possible exception the German jet Me-262. The Wildcat [by the same company] was nothing special, which is why they developed the Hellcat.

Mash

Enlightened
Speaking of coincidences, the movie "final countdown" was on tv last night! Hadnt seen it for years, and for those who know, one of the CLASSIC Tomcat movies (beautiful 80s high viz schemes, yummy!), and a good story line to boot!
On the subject of Iranian Tomcats, totally agree about them having arguably the best camo pattern. Apparently Grumman picked the paint scheme from the Luftwaffe desert camo patterns of WW2, (something I heard, unconfirmed, but a good story!) There is a new Blue based camo in the fleet also.
Also despite the myths regarding the Iranian 14s being grounded, useless etc, although obviously difficult to mainatain the fleet, a bit of net research will reveal surprising facts!
One of which being that the Iranian Tomcats have about 30 times the kill record of the US Navy in actual combat... (in the Iran-Iraq war, when US was supporting Saddam in attacking Iran. Another great foreign policy strategy!)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago two F14s passed low over my town, went supersonic and the boom stirred some trouble, including smashing some glass, freaking out alarms in a large area and scaring the bejeezus out of some elderly people in the local rest home.

I'm in Italy, but not far from the american base in Aviano, so it happens sometimes to see american jet fighters above our skies.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I still think there's a certain charm (not to mention capability) about the ol F-14's. The Australian F-111's supposedly just did their last dump and burn at the Brisbane Riverfire festival.

The F-111's are at this stage to be retired by 2009, and I for one will be sad to see them go :(