What flashlight for a car?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't think that just one flashlight suits my car needs. I have one LED head lamp for changing tires and making repairs in the dark, and one bright incandescent for signaling, seeing through fog/rain etc. My two lights in particular are:
Princeton Tec Aurora
SureFire G2.

If I had to change one, I would get a G3 instead of the G2, but that's more personal preference. Hope this helps.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can have just one an Inova 24/7 with accessory kit is my go-to choice.
-Headlight
-Emergency Strobe/beacon
-Magnet clip
-nech strap
etc

uses a lithium battery - an absolute essential for an emergency light

phosphor

Enlightened
If I had to choose just one light I would want something capable of functioning on common AA batteries. A "bright" high and a long running low with enough "spill" to change a tire are also important; a strobe function would be nice "insurance" for safety sake. The new 2AA Fenix Premium Rebel 100 L2D running on long lasting lithium batteries seems to fit those requirements. Others will be along soon to offer their perspective and suggestions.

- regards

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phosphor - I have to disagree re: the battery type. Lithium batteries have 2-3 times the shelf life of an alkaline battery, higher energy density and far superior performance in extreme weather - both hot and cold. Given their extreme lifespans it's not hard to keep a few CR123A's in the car - especially when you have a light like a 24/7 with obscene runtimes. Sure, AA sized lithium batteries exist so that might open up some more lights. I like the 24/7 for the attention getting colored strobe and all spill output - perfect for changing a tire and the magnetic mount, headband or neck lanyard mean both hands are free if no one is there to hold the light for you.

phosphor

Enlightened
Phosphor - I have to disagree re: the battery type. Lithium batteries have 2-3 times the shelf life of an alkaline battery, higher energy density and far superior performance in extreme weather - both hot and cold. Given their extreme lifespans it's not hard to keep a few CR123A's in the car - especially when you have a light like a 24/7 with obscene runtimes. Sure, AA sized lithium batteries exist so that might open up some more lights. I like the 24/7 for the attention getting colored strobe and all spill output - perfect for changing a tire and the magnetic mount, headband or neck lanyard mean both hands are free if no one is there to hold the light for you.
Yes !........good reasoning and a wise choice no doubt.......I have an Inova 24/7 in my glove box ! There are lots of solid choices available for us "flashaholics".

- Cheers to you Matt !

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
One in my wife's car, one in mine. :)

I always have else something rolling around in the glovebox - right now it's a 2-3 year old Inova XO that I can't remember using in recent memory - and my wife has a LumaPower F1 in her purse...if she remembers. :p

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
Lithium batteries have 2-3 times the shelf life of an alkaline battery, higher energy density and far superior performance in extreme weather - both hot and cold.

+1

My flashlight (SL TL-3) and a first aid kit are kept in a small cool box in our car.

djblank87

Enlightened
A light that takes Lithium batteries is a good choice for carrying in the car, reason being if the batteries run out you can drop in some new cells and away you go.

Now I carry a SL-20X in my personal vehicle. Granted it is a rechargeable unit but I have been using it for years and it is my go to light in my vehicle. But to be safe in my glove box I keep a stock SF G2 with 4 extra batteries.

I do like the idea of putting a headlamp in my emergency kit. Time to go shopping again. :wave:

bones_708

Enlightened
I like a full sized rechargeable. Streamlight, Maglite, Pelican all have great lights that work for me. I also have a glove box light (g2) and a "lantern" style spotlight in my truck. If working then I have other lights appropriate for what I'm doing that night.

petersmith6

Enlightened
i have a fenix l2t with lithium AA and a nite ezz head band,dose all i need and i can get AA battries fron any petrol station.what i would suggest is that you keep some sergical/nitrile gloves with the torch.why.....well if you have to change a flat or tinker with the engin(wich Alway happens when you onthe way to somthing important)you can tack them of after and not be left with dirty hand...also carry a pack off baby wipes,dont giggle,they clean everything up...and usfull is you get cought short.

DM51

Flashaholic
Yellow G2 (P60 / 2xCR123A) and Petzl Tikka Plus headlight (3xAAA) in glovebox at all times - never removed from vehicle for other purposes.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to leave a lithium powered light in my late car, but after seeing some freak incidents of lithiums (esp primaries) going up in flames, I would rather have leaky alkalines than a burnt car.

Anyway, since I EDC a light or 2 everywhere and will probably have a Draco around my neck, I don't think I'll need one permanently anywhere.

If you must insist, use branded lithium cells.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6D with BOG drop in and a Magcharger in the car, i like big lights. The MC incan sees more usage than the luxeon because of the colour rendition at night.

I have a magcharger in my car too with standard bulb in + 1160 and another standard bulb in the tailcap...I like the throw of this light and the important thing is that you can recharge it from your 12V car battery...

Latest posts