Can an .AVI file be edited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Exactly like the subject line says...can an .AVI file be edited to remove content from the beginning and from the end?
Alternately, can one extract just the audio portion of an .AVI file and save it to .WAV format? I can then easily use Sound Recorder to edit the resulting .WAV file with no problems.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, it's just a matter of which program you want to do it all with. I'll let the media experts tell you what's best (unless you have a Mac, in which case Final Cut is your program)

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hi, AVI is basically uncompressed audio/video material. You will need to extract the ac3 audio from it. I'm not a big expert on this, but I have done a fair amount of work with media. I use adobe software, but that is very expensive. After googling I found a free software that will allow you to do it. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/download_splash.cfm once you are done here is a guide on how. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/extract_ac3_from_avi.cfm
Once you are done extracting it, you will need any AC3 editor, but I took the liberty of googling one for you :p.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Delay_Corrector.htm

Good luck,
Stephen

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly like the subject line says...can an .AVI file be edited to remove content from the beginning and from the end?
Alternately, can one extract just the audio portion of an .AVI file and save it to .WAV format? I can then easily use Sound Recorder to edit the resulting .WAV file with no problems.
That's a big YES!

I use VirtualDub and RAD Video Tools. The former is much more GUI, and the latter accepts just about every video format I throw at it. Both are free and very powerful, allowing me to trim beginnings and endings, crop, resize, combine, recompress, change codecs, and do my taxes.

Okay, I lied, neither one will do your taxes. :)

I've used AlltoAVI (free) to recompress files into XviD (which can sometimes make for smaller files with no perceptible loss in quality).

Also handy is AVI-OGM Info (free), which tells you things like resolution, framerate, and separate audio/video bitrates/codecs/etc. of your video files.

To save an audio track as a WAV file, use VirtualDub and choose File>Save WAV.

Happy editing! :wave:

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Just cut off the head and the tail?

Or change its audio into a new one?

I think Windows Movie Maker 2 is fine, I'd used it to create a short video clip months ago, and felt it was powerful enough.

And to convert an AVI to WAV or others, foobar can do it pretty well, too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I found exactly what I needed, but thank you for your suggestion in any case!!! :)
What I wanted was a program that could remove the audio track from an .AVI and save it as a .WAV, where it could easily be edited by Windows Recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.