River Rock Lights

Phaetos

Enlightened
Anywhere to get these online? The only place I've seen one was at Target and it's a 30 minute drive from me. I've looked all over and find them anywhere, nor can I find a website for them directly.

Beer

Enlightened
Well, I belive that River Rock is the target brand for lights made by Nuwai s(sp?)

Sooooooooooooo....I you can point out wich RR you are interested in we may be able to point you to a vender selling it's Nuwai or other branded clone. :thumbsup:

Or maybe some nice soul on here who knows how to work paypal will go to target and mail you one. :shrug:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Anywhere to get these online? The only place I've seen one was at Target and it's a 30 minute drive from me. I've looked all over and find them anywhere, nor can I find a website for them directly.

Other than buying them via people who buy them and then sell them on eBay i'm not too aware of any other way to get them. You can however buy the lights with the Nuwai brand name. Which is going to be the same as the River Rock brand as the lights are Nuwai lights but in diffrent finish's and re-branded. So other then going to Target there is no way to get a River Rock light, But there is a way to get a Nuwai light.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I have to ask.... why? They're $25 at my local Wal Mart. A Fenix P2D is WAY more than twice the light, and only $50ish shipped. If you want a larger light, the P3D is even better.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I like my River rock, it is a nicely constructed, decent output light for $22. It has a similar output to my L1d ce at medium. It also works well on NiMH batteries. I don't think you would be disappointed.JMHO.

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I have to ask.... why? They're $25 at my local Wal Mart. A Fenix P2D is WAY more than twice the light, and only $50ish shipped. If you want a larger light, the P3D is even better.

Which River Rock light are you talking about? RR makes a lot of different lights, everything from headlights to lanterns.

Roger

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Which River Rock light are you talking about? RR makes a lot of different lights, everything from headlights to lanterns.

Roger

The OP mentioned Target. The River Rock lights at Target are a "1W" and a rechargable 1W I think. Maybe a smaller one..

All in the $20 area.

I wasn't trying to be snobby or anything, but the reality is that they're heavy, likely have less efficient configurations, poorer LED's (tint, output), beam quality, etc.... $50 is a lot for a flashlight for most folks, including me, but the Fenix is well worth it and will last for years to come. I've used a Surefire E1e for 3.5 years, I'll probably use the Fenix P2D CE for a few years then upgrade to whatever similar light is available at the time.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
The River Rock light that I purchased at Target is a single AA cell light. It was advertised as 1 watt, and I believe they use Luxeon LEDs.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
50 is a lot for a flashlight for most folks, including me, but the Fenix is well worth it and will last for years to come.

They will? Perhaps some of them will, but my luck with them has been less than 50% positive. Out of the 6 Fenixs I have had(L1T L1S L2S L2T LopSE P1), two have not had problems the L0PSE and P1. They are the only two I have left, I gave the others to my young nephews to play with.

So just like every other brand, there are good ones and lemons its the luck of the draw. Never had a problem (nor have the people I have given them as gifts to) with a RR having picked up and given away as gifts perhaps a dozen or so of them.

Luminescent

Enlightened
The River Rock light that I purchased at Target is a single AA cell light. It was advertised as 1 watt, and I believe they use Luxeon LEDs.

If your light is the one that looks sort of like the small single AA Fenix lights with a pocket clip, I have one. I thought it was quite nice until I got my Jetbeam C-LE, which has twice the output (with the same runtime), or twice the runtime (with the same output), and a much better beam pattern. The C-LE also has even lower power modes with longer run times (up to about 30 hours), plus a scratch resistant glass lens, and great looking HAIII finish.

The C-LE is basically twice the performance in every category for the same 20 bucks I paid for my River Rock 1W 1 AA.

The Jetbeam is certainly not the only bet, the Fenix lights also offer top notch name brand build quality, and contrary to what has been said here, they are not really that much more expensive then the Target Department store lights, if you compare apples to apples.

With Fenix you can get a slightly better light than your River Rock for almost the same money, or two or three times the performance and features for proportionally more money, but the key thing to remember that Fenix is not really charging you much of a premium over what you are paying for 'department store' grade lights at target or Wal-Mart when you compare similar lights.

Check out the Fenix Civictor V1 light -

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...id=76&osCsid=132299e3814047b1b1aeb779af6538f9

There is a Fenix-Store 8% CPF discount [order with code CPF8] so this light ends up costing less that 25 bucks [shipped] which is in the same ball park as the River Rock, but the Fenix has a nicer beam pattern longer run time and scratch resistant glass lens.

Sure you can spend two or three times the money if you want to get a Fenix light with proportionately more output and features, but even if you NEVER expect to need anything more than a simple 1 AA x 1 mode light, Fenix would still be a better bet in my opinion due to the glass lens and better overall performance. Of course, if you drop your flashlights several feet onto hard concrete a lot, or tend to loose them a lot, then cheap disposable department store lights are probably your best bet, despite the lower performance.

Last edited:

Torque1st

Enlightened
The River Rock lights I list below have been great with zero problems. I paid $15 for the first one just before Christmas and I got the second one for $10 after Christmas. They normally run about $25 at Target. They can also be purchased thru Ebay with the following search term:

(Aurora, alj-012aa, alj012aa, am-alj012aa, amalj012aa, amalj-012aa, amalj012aa, talj-012aa, talj012aa, t-alj-012aa, t-alj012aa, "river rock") flashlight -vintage -cover -lighter -disney

The search will find the Nichia light like the Nichia Jupiter 1.5 Watt Super LED Flashlight 2xAA (the same thing as the RR unit), Item number: 250159538773
US $14.95 Shipping costs: US $6.95

A review of this light can be found here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_alj-012aa.htm

I use AA NiMH batteries and a GOOD intelligent charger.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I as well own a River Rock light which i received for Christmas. Its there 2xAAA light. Which for the size is very bright, Not ringy at all and at least 2x brighter than a Mag 2D Cell LED light. On fresh batteries i would call it within range of the output from my E1e. Tint on it is very well. The Threads do need to be lubricated out of the box but it is very well sealed (Enough to use it in a heavy rainstorm with no troubles) and looks nice.

No, It wont replace my SureFire's but it for sure wasn't a bad buy for 15.00. :cool: (The price of the MN01 for my E1e LOL)

Illum

Flashaholic

Sometimes you would need to take into account that a few of us [me included] don't want lights with newer technology or wants a light that perhaps can be modded with its been almost a year since the CREEvolution began and I'm still a firm believer in luxeon based lights:whistle:

Phaetos

Enlightened
Sorry guys, got lost somewhere else for awhile :) I bought one at Target today. It is a 42 Lumen 1AA model, very small and very quite useable. It's a 1W Luxeon LED and it's actually not bad, $22. I had to try it.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, got lost somewhere else for awhile :) I bought one at Target today. It is a 42 Lumen 1AA model, very small and very quite useable. It's a 1W Luxeon LED and it's actually not bad, $22. I had to try it.

It's a really solid light with a very white beam (compared to my Fenixes). Everything from the big metal pocket clip to the hard clicky feels like it'll last a long time. Even the included lanyard and attachments are thick and juicy :).

Phaetos

Enlightened
It is a nice light, much better than the larger Dorcy Metal Gear that uses more batteries. The color is much better than the Dorcy also, the RR is whiter with a tint of purple, but the Dorcy compared to is is yellow like an incand. I really like it, fits great in my pocket. I did find that it is a push-on clicky, but momentary off when half-push while it's on. Gonna get another for my wife to carry in her purse or pocket.

fishx65

Enlightened
I also have a RR 1AA but it is now on the shelf since I got my MTE SSC P4 U-bin AA lights from DX. I picked up the single mode ($14.50) and the 5 mode ($18.84). Not sure how long they will last but they seem pretty durable so far. Both of these are so much brighter then the RR it's silly! Might be worth a look if the RR is not bright enough for you.

Latest posts