Lumileds Rebel leds, what is there to know about these?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the quest for more solid state lumens, this is a similar thread as the one inquiring about Ostar leds.
It turned into a useful read. :)

Why Rebel leds?
Small size.
Lower price than some.
Could be quite powerful in large numbers within a still, relatively small, portable light. :wow:

Any info, input, and experiences you have had with Lumileds rebels will help a bunch.
:popcorn:

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the quest for more solid state lumens, this is a similar thread as the one inquiring about Ostar leds.
It turned into a useful read. :)

Why Rebel leds?
Small size.
Lower price than some.
Could be quite powerful in large numbers within a still, relatively small, portable light. :wow:

Any info, input, and experiences you have had with Lumileds rebels will help a bunch.
:popcorn:

The Rebel utilizes a new process TFFC (Thin Film Flip Chp). Here's a little blurb about it from a press release on the the Illumiramic process LEDs Philips will be coming out with in 2008: TFFC technology, recently introduced in Luxeon Rebel, is the only thin film process that removes the anode and cathode from the light output path and provides an unobstructed plane to which the Lumiramic plate can be applied.

http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR77.PDF

I have some sample Rebel LEDs. I'm trying to mount one of these teeny but powerfull LEDs onto a post, and experimenting using a 3" reflector, to see how the beam works. That's the only flashlight application I can think of, putting it on a post and using it with a reflector. I'll also try it with a Mag reflector.

LED technology is really progessing rapidly. It's really amazing what we now have in the Cree LEDs and Seoul Semiconductor LEDs. I don't think Philips is going to be left behind, but probably shoot past the competition. I can hardly wait.

Wayne

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back, 3rd Shift!,
Good things have been going on in the solid state world with the introduction of Cree LEDs and Lumileds responding with their Rebel 80 and Rebel 100.
The upside of the Rebel is they are very bright, right in that 100 lumens per watt range. The downside is for modders, they are very, very, very hard to work with but there is another LED on the horizon.
The Luxeon K2 can roll 1.5 amps and when they put the Rebel tech inside, it should be a direct swap with the older LuxI and LuxIII emitters. Those are the puppies that I want to play with this winter. The Rebels are too small to be modder friendly, have a higher C/W than the K2 and can't handle as much current.