Brightest 2 cell PR bulb.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Without regard for runtime, heat buildup, bulb life, or cost, what is the brightest PR based bulb that I can buy that will run on 2 AA's or two D's ? I have XPR 102 and Mag-Numstar Xenon bulbs but I want something brighter. I am willing to experiment with potting my own if necessary.

Kirk

Enlightened
Darkaway,
Check out this list of bulbs http://www.bright.co.jp/english/prd/min_01.html . It has all sorts of lamps listed with their voltage, amperage, luminous flux, etc. The XPR102 is listed near the bottom of the first "page". It appears the XPR102 is the brightest "standard" flashlight bulb.
Kirk

edit- the second page shows the HPR52 as brighter for just a little more amperage. But 850 mA may be too much for alkalines; may be okay for Nicad or NiMH.
Kirk

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the brightest 2d pr i have used is a benshine kpr141 oem'ed for first alert
[email protected]
aa alks are no go.forget anything not at least having a metal bulb holder unless you like the smell of melting plastic.
niad/nimh aa-d work very well and the bulb is slightly overdriven.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Good info guys. Thanks much. And Kirk, that's a lovely little town you live in. I would have bought a house there but the city's name was too hard to spell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saved that chart here to add to gigs of data i may never need again but keep anyway :)

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snakebite,

I bought a bunch of those from Walmart in the Rayovac brand (k141-2 2.0v 1.2 a) for $1.60 for 2 bulbs. The work very well in 2-d cell lights, but as you say AA alkalines just can't feed them right.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighter yet is the Carley 2.5 V 1.3 A Krypton star PR bulb for rechargeable batteries. It is rated at 3.3SCP = 41 Lumen. I don't use this any more because I put more voltage than this into my 2-cell C and D aluminum flashlights these days for much more light.

My brightest 3V light ssetup at the moment is a PT20 with 2@ lithium AA's and an HPR 2.8 V 0.85 A bulb. I find this a good tradeoff of brightness and run time. The beam is very similar to the R30 beam in a SF 3P, which, as you may know, is considerably brighter and higher current than the e1 beam.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to know if that HPR is any brighter than the Mag-Num Xenon 2 cell (similar current rating).