NovaTac 120P or...Suggestions???

jcompton

Enlightened
I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on the purchase of a NovaTac 120P but just thought I'd see if there were any other lights that I should consider before going forward. My reason for considering the 120P stems primarily from its size to light output ratio, with the option of pretty much any output selection in between as well as its extreme durability for everyday use. I plan on using this light as an EDC with rechargeables from AW. Clicky switch is a MUST. A belt clip is nice if it does not increase the width of the body too much and can remain low profile, but is not a necessity due to the fact that I will be carrying it in my back pocket next to my wallet. The $150.00 price tag is pushing the budget as it is, so I would like to keep any alternative suggestions right around $150 (or less). Lifetime Warrantee is always necessary, unless the light is custom (used for $150?)/modded, and in that case i would prefer that the mod be performed by a reliable individual (such as Milky). Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If no other suggestions... Where is the best place to purchase ($$$ and service) the 120P?

-John

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with the NovaTac 120-P.

But, you could always grab an Arc LS and have Milky (or one of several other top modders) mod it with a better emitter and a FluPic board. It would be a bit smaller than the NovaTac, lovely lights the Arc LS series.

CFU

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO get the 120 P!! I am sure that you will LOVE it.

But, I will take a McGizmo light over any other!!

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
A belt clip is nice if it does not increase the width of the body too much and can remain low profile, but is not a necessity due to the fact that I will be carrying it in my back pocket next to my wallet.

-John

As the light has 1 Inch (25mm) Diameter it is not very comfortable to carry it in your back pocket. This is my opinium. I take it until I get the AW holster in a teck lock kydex holster at my belt.

Great light to use!

jcompton

Enlightened
As the light has 1 Inch (25mm) Diameter it is not very comfortable to carry it in your back pocket. This is my opinium. I take it until I get the AW holster in a teck lock kydex holster at my belt.

Great light to use!

Right now I have an MK.ll x in my back pocket and compared to my over-stuffed wallet it actually moves around a little.

BBL

Enlightened
85P :) ... much cheaper, and the led/efficiency is the same, just the 120lm mode is missing

I bought the 120P expecting it is more efficient than the 85P

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've tried to come up with reasons for not recommending it, but I just can't. I really like mine, but I have to admit, I do see it being a bit large for the back pocket. Mine rides comfortably deep in my front pocket (with the clip on no less), and most of the time I don't even know it's there.

BTW, the belt clip works very well, I really don't see what the fuss is that folks are making about it. I've carried it on my belt several times, and it's nice there, with it being extremely easy to get on and off, I simply prefer to have it in my front pocket.

Anyway, 120P or 85P, that's a tough one. I don't really find my self using the top level that much, but it IS nice knowing it's there. If the extra $40 doesn't bother you, then get the 120P, if it might keep you from getting one, then by all means get the 85P, I seriously doubt you would miss the top level that much. Enjoy!

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I've been waiting to pull the trigger on the 120P as well. Trying decide between the 120P and a SF L1 cree. I was able to play around with the L1 at my local SF dealer so I know the beamshape and it's nice. The only problem with the 120P for me is that I can't play with it before I buy... don't know how the beam will be (too floody or too spot) but I've heard a lot of good things (and some bugs).

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
What bugs?
I've read reviews where the light will get stuck in this flickering mode for some strange reason... if you go to the Flashlight Reviews forum and look at some of the 120P reviews they'll provide more details.

jcompton

Enlightened
I've read reviews where the light will get stuck in this flickering mode for some strange reason... if you go to the Flashlight Reviews forum and look at some of the 120P reviews they'll provide more details.

Would this be something covered under warrantee? Another thing i forgot to mention is that buying from a manufacturer/vendor that is located in the US for warrantee purposes is definitely something I would be looking for.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I have the 85P and I really like it!! Maybe I should have went for the 120, but I have several lights with that kind of output. I got mine more for the U.I. and the size. I have had zero problems with mine. I would recommend either one. :)

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novatec 120P or...Suggestions???

The reality is the Novatak edc 120P is one fine flashlight.
If you are that close to "pulling the trigger". Just do it.
Then you will be able to make the decision about whether or not it is right for you FIRST HAND without the rumor and guesswork of other opinions holding you back.

The bottom line is this.
Buy it if you like it buy a holster and keep it.
If it doesn't suit your needs sell it off in the BST forum for what it cost you minus a few bucks. A small price to pay for piece of mind of making the right decision yourself.

Yaesumofo

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Would this be something covered under warrantee? Another thing i forgot to mention is that buying from a manufacturer/vendor that is located in the US for warrantee purposes is definitely something I would be looking for.
I believe so. I've seen people say Novatac sent them a new one that works since they have a lifetime warranty like Surefire.

jcompton

Enlightened
I believe so. I've seen people say Novatac sent them a new one that works since they have a lifetime warranty like Surefire.

It's comforting to know that they stand by their product...

Is it possible to switch the clicky tailcap from the 120T to the 120P and still maintain programmability? The reason I ask is because I prefer the clicky of the E1L/E2L which protrudes for easier activation, over the recessed clicky of the JET-I MK.II X.

phosphor

Enlightened
I don't own a Novatac but did own it's fore bearer, an HDS. It's a remarkable light, and the Novatac seems just as remarkable. Personally I think it's the most versatile, best built, production, single cell CR123 on the market today. In no way could you go wrong buying it if you are prepared to spend that amount of money. As I said, it's a remarkable light.

It's a bit "chunky" for back pocket carry......it could be done. You would however, know it was there when you were sitting. I think it lends itself best to belt or deep pocket carry.

Personally speaking, if I were to consider an alternative to the Novatac, it would be the Amilite T5. It too is solidly machined, well engineered, and built to last a lifetime. It is only a two stage, and it does not exhibit the versatility of programmable levels, but the T5's simplicity is it's forte. That, and it's miraculous beam. However, the Novatac's is equal.

Let us know what you decide when you are ready.

- regards

Last edited:

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Is it possible to switch the clicky tailcap from the 120T to the 120P and still maintain programmability? The reason I ask is because I prefer the clicky of the E1L/E2L which protrudes for easier activation, over the recessed clicky of the JET-I MK.II X.

The circuit is in the head of the unit, not in the tailcap. So go right ahead and swap em over. :thumbsup:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 120P design. I'd like to see longer run times at 120 though. I'd like to see the run time increased and the ability to keep it at 120 through programming rather than automatically downshifting to lower levels. I really haven't read through the owners manual all that closely, so maybe you can do something like that already. :anyone:

jcompton

Enlightened
I like the 120P design. I'd like to see longer run times at 120 though. I'd like to see the run time increased and the ability to keep it at 120 through programming rather than automatically downshifting to lower levels. I really haven't read through the owners manual all that closely, so maybe you can do something like that already. :anyone:
http://www.novatac.com/downloads/Novatac-EDC-P-UserGuide.pdf

I read through some of the programming section and I believe I did see something about that...